 CAD / Development / 7687
Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 01:25:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
GL_VENDOR ='Microsoft Corporation'
GL_RENDERER ='GDI Generic'

I believe I'm using the generic Win2K drivers.  My video adapter is "Trident
CyberBlade i-7 1024x768x32, 60 Hz"...  It *says* it's accelerated, but I
think it's just accelerated for bitblt and other 2-d stuff; 3-d has never
been fast on this box.

Those are indeed the generic Windows drivers.  The Trident web-site
says the i-7 only has accelerated 3D drivers for 98 and ME, and the
GL_RENDERER string agrees.

Also, is your .ldr test file anything you could share?  I'd like to see
how your display times compare with with the same file running on my
test PCs.

I've uploaded it to http://www.sproat.us/ldglite-test.zip

Nifty looking ship.  I tried it on the kids Win98 K6 200MHz with GDI
Generic opengl and it took about 15 seconds to render.  Are you using
the l3 parser?  It's much faster.  It's -l3 on the commandline, or
rename the executable to l3glite.exe.  I see what you mean about the
tooltips causing excessive redraws.  Ouch!  There aren't as many
tooltips in Win95 so I haven't noticed it on my PC.  I think it's
a bug in glut because tooltips should be in the overlay planes and
shouldn't require a redraw.  The 100% CPU usage is another glut
bug that I already have a workaround for, but didn't apply it to
the code that displays the experimental GUI.  I don't know what would
cause the menus to flicker madly, or why the cursor in the window would
slow down the refresh so much.  Perhaps the CyberBlade doesn't have
overlay plane hardware for the cursor (and the tooltips)?

Perhaps another alternative is to use the Tk toolkit widgets?  AFAIK it is
available pre-compiled and in source form for a ton of platforms including
Linux, Mac, Win32, FreeBSD, etc. -- see
http://resource.tcl.tk/resource/software/ports/

Hmm, does the tk opengl widget come standard in the binary versions?
I'll have to look into it.  Last I remember, the binary version for
windows is several megabytes.  I once made a nifty little tk dialog
box for a software patch on a floppy, only to realize that tk wouldn't
fit on the floppy.  Not even close.

I've also looked at fltk since it has a glut emulation layer, which
might make the transition easier.  I'll have to look at that again
too.

Don