 CAD / Development / 7662
Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:42:57 GMT

Eduardo,

I really like this idea.  I have no experience whatsoever with making
bootable CDs, but I'm sure someone else here does.

Some questions...

I assume that all file saving would happen to hard disk or floppy, unless a
rewritable medium such as Zip disk were used.

Does it need to be a bootable CD?  Would it be ok if you booted the host
system, then loaded the CD?

I'm not sure how the various LDraw tools would handle not knowing what drive
letter they're on before they're used.  IIRC, the original LDraw assumed it
was located in C:\LDRAW, and would need an environment variable set if that
weren't the case.  (Or maybe I'm just on crack.)  How would MLCad and LeoCAD
handle this situation, I wonder?

Do you think a Windows 3.1 environment is absolutely necessary?  Pros:  a
GUI for non-command-line folks; cons:  memory sucked up by windows.

I wonder, is it possible to get a quasi-32-bit Windows (W95, W98) onto a
bootable CD?  Pros:  you can use the excellent 32-bit LDraw tools; you can
use long filenames, better memory management than Windows 3.1; cons:  might
be impossible due to the structure of windows.

An alternative is to go pure DOS, no GUI at all.  If you need cheap
(virtually free) and reliable multitasking, there's always DesqView (but
again, there's the memory issue).

Cheers,
- jsproat

p.s. It occurs to me that a CD-bootable LDraw Linux distro would ROCK if
there were even a handful of decent LDraw tools available for Linux.  You
wouldn't even need X loaded, just do all the screen code via Allegro or SDL...