 CAD / Development / 7709
Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 20:22:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:
Use -n2 to render each part in the backbuffer, -n4 does the whole
model.  Also the backbuffer is retained for faster refreshes on window
expose events.  I haven't gotten this to work in LEDIT mode yet
though.

Yes!  Awesome.  Drawing time seems to be a little slower, I don't have any
numbers for that though.  But the refresh is ligntning fast.

Hmm, the menu seems to be more responsive too.

What's -cg?  I'm gonna assume you mean -ccX,Y,Z.

You sure?  Lemme go double-check the docs...

Oh my.  I seem to have this large red welt on my forehead roughly the same
size and shape as my hand.  Funny, I don't remember getting it...

I think I've been using -cg in l3p so long that I became dyslexic when
reading the l3p-like camera commands in ldglite-readme.txt... :-,

Anyhow, it's been a
while, but I think it's X,Y,Z in opengl world coordinates (Which I think
are like ldraw world coords except the Y direction is reversed)  Some
effects like distance from the camera aren't visible in orthographic
mode.  Try -J for perspective mode.  I think the default camera position
is 0,0,1000 so using -cc0,500,1000 will be looking at the model more
from above.  Using -cc0,250,500 will be looking from the same angle,
but closer in perspective mode.

Ok, I got it now, thanks.  :-,  Just curious, what is the expected behavior
when -cc and -a are specified together?  Is one supposed to cancel the other
out, or are they completely unrelated?

I'm currently reworking much of the camera code while working on the
quake style navigation for moving and aiming the camera interactivly.
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7515
So now's the time to make suggestions.

One thing I've noticed is that while spin mode drawing is very responsive,
there's not enough of a delay between when you stop moving the model and
when the higher-quality redraw begins.  What would be great is a way to
lengthen this pause, or perhaps a hotkey to say "draw in spin mode until I
say otherwise".

Where's your task bar, at the top of the screen?  What are you some
kind of nut?  ;-)

Why, now that you ask, well yes!  :-,

I'll see what I can do, but I'm running out of
letters to use on the command line, and I don't think I can predict
where the task bar (or docking station or whatever) is gonna be.  I
don't particularly like the window popping up in the exact top left
corner either, but I think defaulting to the center of the screen
would irritate me even more.  How about something like +200,100
on the command line?  Give that a try in the beta version.

I've seen -g (geometry) used in various apps for this.  Another possibility
is to throw it into a 4-parameter -v option, e.g. -vleft,top,right,bottom

Use -fw for that.  That's an old ldlite option so it may not be in the
readme.txt file.  I guess I should add a section in the readme file
that covers all the ldlite compatible commandline options.

Neato, that looks cool too, and I think I'll be using that in something! :-,
But what I was looking at was wireframe with the hidden lines removed (as if
all surfaces were the same color as the background?)

Speaking of lines, when I use -W20 the ends of each line segment is capped
by a square which is the same color as the line but 2 or 3 times as wide.
The net result is that pieces with many line segments (curves for example)
have a very "spiky" look.  Is there any way to smooth these out?

I've uploaded a sample to my server: http://www.sproat.us/l3glite-test.png

My l3glite command line:  l3glite -v640,480 -u6400,4800 -i1 -fh -W20 -q -l3
-s13 -o-500,1500 -z-1000 -a1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1 model.dat

Cheers,
- jsproat