 CAD / Development / 7702
Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:57:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Ok, I changed this and the effect is like night and day.  Thanks!

I did some work on the other solution, rendering in the background.
There's a beta of this here:

  http://ldglite.sourceforge.net/ldgliteexe_test.zip

Use -n2 to render each part in the backbuffer, -n4 does the whole
model.  Also the backbuffer is retained for faster refreshes on window
expose events.  I haven't gotten this to work in LEDIT mode yet
though.

I also fixed the -b<color> bug.

I like the L3P-like camera command-line options, except they don't seem to
work.  Specifically, I'm using -cgx,y,z (is that x,y,z or lat,long,dist?)
and -cox,y,z -- no matter what values I give the -cg the view never changes
(or changes just slightly?)  This happens both with and without a -a option.
Similarly, the -co doesn't seem to be moving the model origin.  Tested with
both the release version and the "silver beta" version.

What's -cg?  I'm gonna assume you mean -ccX,Y,Z.  Anyhow, it's been a
while, but I think it's X,Y,Z in opengl world coordinates (Which I think
are like ldraw world coords except the Y direction is reversed)  Some
effects like distance from the camera aren't visible in orthographic
mode.  Try -J for perspective mode.  I think the default camera position
is 0,0,1000 so using -cc0,500,1000 will be looking at the model more
from above.  Using -cc0,250,500 will be looking from the same angle,
but closer in perspective mode.

I'm currently reworking much of the camera code while working on the
quake style navigation for moving and aiming the camera interactivly.

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7515

So now's the time to make suggestions.  You can get a sample of where
I'm going (but with a bad choice of keys) by holding ctrl-alt and left
mouse button and then wandering around the model on the latest beta.
Make sure you're in perspective mode first.  Oh yeah, the new menu
has a setting in the VIEW panel for FOV angle if you want to play
with that.  Hmm, I wonder how I could do that visually with the mouse...

When you start up the window, is it possible to place it centered on-screen?
It always comes up with the upper-left at 0,0 on my monitor, which places
its title bar smack-dab underneath my task bar.  Right-clicking on its
taskbar entry to get to the "Move" menu item is tricky, due to the tooltip
causing the redraw.  :-,

Where's your task bar, at the top of the screen?  What are you some
kind of nut?  ;-)  I'll see what I can do, but I'm running out of
letters to use on the command line, and I don't think I can predict
where the task bar (or docking station or whatever) is gonna be.  I
don't particularly like the window popping up in the exact top left
corner either, but I think defaulting to the center of the screen
would irritate me even more.  How about something like +200,100
on the command line?  Give that a try in the beta version.

I really like the -q option -- especially when I can catch it in mid-draw so
that it clears the screen just when it starts drawing the line edges.  This
is a nifty effect -- how about an option to draw *just* the line edges?

Use -fw for that.  That's an old ldlite option so it may not be in the
readme.txt file.  I guess I should add a section in the readme file
that covers all the ldlite compatible commandline options.

That's all I have tonight.  Playing with the -fh, -W and -q settings, and
the rendering is just gorgeous.  Wish I could position the camera quickly.

Feel free to tell me more about how you want it to work, both
interactivly and on the command line.

Don