 CAD / Development / 7675
Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 01:51:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
I've tried the LEdit mode, and gave up in frustration due to the slow redraw
(particularly with the text).  I haven't formalized my list of (complaints?
bugs?  dunno) concerning LDGLite, but I can if you want.
Sure, go ahead and elaborate.  I can't fix it if I don't know about it.

Okay, this is a quick and dirty list, just what I've observed or confirmed
today:

Menu - The right-click menu is very confusing.  Why not put this in the menu
bar and standard dialog boxes?  File browser is confusing, as is file filter.

Menu - File browser skips files, I can't load my file if it falls within the
last three slots in browser submenu.  I had to delete files from my
LDRAW\MODELS directory before I could see my test file.

Window - Program starts with window bounds matching screen resolution; I'm
missing the title bar due to my task bar.  Why not start at a smaller size,
or have it remember window size between sessions?

Redraw - Clears screen during redraw for any small reason - a tooltip from
the task bar triggers this, sometimes a mouse movement will.  When this
happens, after waiting for the redraw, it redraws again from the beginning.
Can become an endless cycle in some circumstances.  Must kill program from
task manager.

Redraw - Won't restart redraw in middle of redraw, must wait until it's
finished.  You can't input a command during a redraw.

Command-line Option - option -Bn doesn't work, bg always 15 (white).

LEdit Mode Toggle - Why not put this in the menu?

LEdit Mode - OpenGL text takes too long to redraw, why not use native font,
or a subwindow that doesn't need to redraw constantly?

Input Keys - ALT-F4 doesn't close the window.

But there's one thing I've noticed that's in common with all LDraw tools
based on OpenGL, and that's that they're much slower than the original
LDraw.exe.  Like by an order of magnitude.  Please note that I am running
Windows 2000 on a non-3d-accelerated laptop, a notoriously slow combination
for OpenGL apps.
Do you have any numbers to back that up?

I stand corrected.  LDGLite renders faster than LEdit on my box.

I'm running on an AMD K6-500 with 192 Mb RAM, 1024x768x24.  In LEdit, my
test file took 43 seconds; in LDGLite, 17 seconds (per redraw).  I note that
it took 4 redraws in LDGLite before I could do anything, though, so it
really took more than a minute before I could do anything with it.

With all my whining, though, I want to point out that the renderer in
LDGLite produces the best-looking, most crisp LDraw images of any other
renderer.

Cheers,
- jsproat