 CAD / Development / 7670
Re: Yet another idea - Portable LDraw system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 22:44:45 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:

p.s. It occurs to me that a CD-bootable LDraw Linux distro would ROCK if
there were even a handful of decent LDraw tools available for Linux.  You
wouldn't even need X loaded, just do all the screen code via Allegro or SDL...

And considering that I just got a single bootable CD Linux
system, which runs both KDE, Gnome, OpenOffice.org and a
bunch of other stuff, it would probably not be difficult to
modify this with some LDraw tools added. The big problem -
as I see it - is that we haven't made a final decision on
the license for the LDraw parts library.

I could probably talk my friendly local Debian developer
into packaging LDGLite for Debian within a few weeks. I
can't remember the details about LeoCAD, but we can probably
also get that into Debian (and thus easily into the Knoppix
bootable CD Linux system). The hard and important part is
the LDraw parts library without a clear license.
Play well,

Jacob
--
Wide-body freight aircraft (with building instructions):
     http://jacob.sparre.dk/LEGO/Transport/Fly/BAe_146-clone/