 CAD / Development / 7686
Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 22:39:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:
Some of that really sounds like driver problems to me.  What does
ldglite print out about your opengl drivers?

GL_VERSION = 1.1.0
GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
GL_VENDOR ='Microsoft Corporation'
GL_RENDERER ='GDI Generic'
GL_RGBA_BITS: (8, 8, 8, 0)
GL_DEPTH_BITS = 32
GL_STENCIL_BITS = 8
Buffer Swap Mode = 2

Maybe you're not using
the Microsoft Software opengl drivers after all, but rather some brain
dead half implemented OEM drivers.  Do you know what graphics board or
chipset you've got?  It's not that crappy orphan Savage-3D chipset
is it?

I believe I'm using the generic Win2K drivers.  My video adapter is "Trident
CyberBlade i-7 1024x768x32, 60 Hz"...  It *says* it's accelerated, but I
think it's just accelerated for bitblt and other 2-d stuff; 3-d has never
been fast on this box.  And all versions of Windows NT have had a hard time
with making opengl fast due to the hardware abstraction layer...

Also, is your .ldr test file anything you could share?  I'd like to see
how your display times compare with with the same file running on my
test PCs.

I've uploaded it to http://www.sproat.us/ldglite-test.zip

Yeah, I've been thinking about that for quite a while now.  I guess
I'm gonna have to go there.  I just don't really want to make it harder
to build the program.  Using a platform neutral toolkit would almost
certainly make it harder because I'd have to build the toolkit
first.  I don't think there are any out there that supply binaries
for all the platforms I'm currently supporting.

Perhaps another alternative is to use the Tk toolkit widgets?  AFAIK it is
available pre-compiled and in source form for a ton of platforms including
Linux, Mac, Win32, FreeBSD, etc. -- see
http://resource.tcl.tk/resource/software/ports/

I think I did render to the back buffer at one point, but I commented
it out because I like to see what's going on.  I suppose I could revive
that code though.  Maybe make it an option.

Having it as an option would be awesome.

Cheers,
- jsproat