 CAD / Development / 7684
Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 19:57:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:
Could you give me some feedback on the experimental menu
(still right click) in this recently escaped beta version of ldglite?
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=8490

Yow!  Incredibly slow.  :-/

It seems to be constantly re-drawing the screen when the dialog is active.
It's also pegged my CPU utilization at 100%.

Hmm, double-clicks don't do anything.  Or maybe it's just not polling for
mouse clicks fast enough -- it took me 3 or 4 tries with the OK button to
change directories.

Weird -- the redraw process "bleeds through" to the top-most window when I
cover up LDGLite.

It's also just a little bit slower -- my test model takes 21 seconds to
render.  What's really odd is that when the mouse cursor is over the window
it takes 45 seconds.

I really wish someone would create some nice control widgets written
in C (not C++) that use opengl for all the drawing.  This would meet
my portability goals for ldglite.  But I've been waiting a long time
and it just isn't happening.  It looks like I'm gonna have to do it
myself.  Rats!

With how slow the redraw rate in opengl is, I would not recommend using it
to render your control widgets.

How about supplying a platform-neutral API for the controls and window
management code, so that native controls can be used?  This would help the
look and feel tremendously, helping it look like (for example) a mac app
when running on a mac.

Input Keys - ALT-F4 doesn't close the window.
That's an easy one, but is it any sort of standard beyond windows?
CUA perhaps?  Could you point me to a page where this is documented?
I'm guessing that pressing that key combo generates some Windows
message that's ignored by the glut library.  If so, I could catch it
myself in the ldglite keyboard handler when running on a Windows
platform, or everywhere if it's a standard in wide use.

I don't know if it's CUA, but it's common enough to be a key binding in KDE.
As an alternative, you could make this user-defined in a config file...

Ah, Now we're getting to the speed issue.  It looks like it's not
actually the redraw speed, but the response time that's the issue.
LEdit scores high in this area.  It's quite good at responding
to key strokes right away and then fixing the rest of the display
later.  The glut Opengl library expects the redraw times to be in
frames per second and not seconds per frame so it's not designed
to be interruptable by keystrokes.  That makes this one a tough
problem to solve.  I can either break up the display loop somehow,
or figure out a way to make it redraw so fast I don't need to
worry about it.

I don't know anything about the glut API, so I can't help you there.  I
would recommend, however, that you render the model into an off-screen image
buffer which is then copied to the screen; this should eliminate most of the
redraws.

Cheers,
- jsproat