 CAD / Development / 7665
Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:35:36 GMT

I just tested a POV-RAY scene with my syster's pc the P-75 and it took
35seconds with the dos version of POV-RAY In my P-3 pc takes 2 - 3 seconds
with windows XP runing using a command line dos window.
About making a boot disk with povray.exe "dos" in it forget it
takes to long 3'5 disk are still same speed as 10 years ago so here what we
can do we can use a dos or linux but if is linux it must be like dos or
easyer.

Since is an idea still we'll need a dev team
I whould like to be the leader I'll let anyone
help me/us and I'll acept any idea or suggestion
and last thing the project will be GNU in other
words free, open source.

ICQ me anytime
126397322
or e-mail me
eduvazhar@terra.es

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
It occurs to me that a CD-bootable LDraw Linux distro would ROCK if
there were even a handful of decent LDraw tools available for Linux.
Ouch!  That really stings!  All kidding aside, what exactly would
comprise "a handful of decent LDraw tools".  Besides a linux l3p
executable, what's missing?  I'd like some ideas to add to my "to do"
list.

Sorry, didn't mean to be insulting there.  :-,

What Linux (and to some extent, Windows too) really needs is a semi-fast
LEdit clone.  I understand that one of the newer tools (LDGlite?) has an
LEdit mode, but is kinda slow without hardware acceleration.

In a pinch, switching back and forth between a LDraw-savvy text editor and a
LDraw viewer would work, but you lose a lot doing it this way...

Of course I *could* get off my duff and teach myself some more 3d matrix
math as well as some cross-platform low-level GUI code, and write it myself,
but I haven't.

You wouldn't even need X loaded, just do all the screen code via
Allegro or SDL...
That's an interesting thought.  Is there some small memory footprint
linux distribution you had in mind?  Is allegro normally a shared
library on linux?

I'm not thinking so much about a small memory footprint, but more along the
lines of getting X out of the picture.  I imagine the goal is to keep such a
distro as simple as possible.  Eliminate X, and you've saved yourself 90% of
your configuration (and memory) woes.  I don't know if Allegro or SDL are
shared libs, but they ARE cross-platform, and on Linux they can use the
video framebuffer (or at least Allegro can, not sure about SDL).

I'm just brainstorming here, so it's okay for me to admit I'm probably wrong
about all this, right?  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat