 CAD / Development / 7659
Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:29:53 GMT

Well, sounds like a plan.  There are a few things that you can do to make it
easier and maybe faster.  I for one would definately network the computers.
All you will need is 2 NICs (Network Interface Cards) a hub or switch
(preferably a switch) and two cables.  If you are running Windows XP, it is
especially easy to get the host machine (your powerful system) working.  I
would consider running Windows 9x at a bare minimum simply for the ease of
networking.  It's been so long since I have worked with and networked
Windows 3.1 and DOS that I wouldn't know where to start.  The biggest
advantage to this route is that you don't have to have all the ldraw stuff
installed on the second computer.  Just map the drive on your host system
and the second one won't even know the difference.  With today's 100 mbps
Ethernet, it would be by far faster than using a CDRom.  And, when you
update a file on the second system, you save it to the host, only one file
to keep up with.  Same with updating ldraw, only one set of parts.  If you
are feeling really brave, you can even try using Linux on the second system,
it's much faster when you don't have much under the hood, so to speak.
Linux also networks very easily.  A lot depends on the speed of your second
system and the software you have available to you and how much time you have
to spend on it.  Windows XP = less time = more money; Linux = more time =
less money (i.e. free).