 CAD / Development / 7714
Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:57:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Ok, I got it now, thanks.  :-,  Just curious, what is the expected behavior
when -cc and -a are specified together?  Is one supposed to cancel the other
out, or are they completely unrelated?

I try to think of the -a as a rotation matrix for the model, whereas the
-cc stuff is a manipulation of the view matrix.  Unfortunately the
LDRAW default -a matrix "squishes" the model as if it were a view matrix.
I guess this is because the old LDRAW view model didn't include a
separate projection matrix.  So I guess I'd say they work together, but
poorly right now.

I'm currently reworking much of the camera code while working on the
quake style navigation for moving and aiming the camera interactivly.
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7515
So now's the time to make suggestions.

One thing I've noticed is that while spin mode drawing is very responsive,
there's not enough of a delay between when you stop moving the model and
when the higher-quality redraw begins.  What would be great is a way to
lengthen this pause, or perhaps a hotkey to say "draw in spin mode until I
say otherwise".

Yes, that is the plan because I want to use both the keyboard and the
mouse.

Neato, that looks cool too, and I think I'll be using that in something! :-,
But what I was looking at was wireframe with the hidden lines removed (as if
all surfaces were the same color as the background?)

I did that once upon a time to show some flaws in a part.  You can see it
in my brickshelf folder, and I think I mentioned it in a post here.  That
said, I don't think I made a way to enable it short of recompiling.  I
guess I could add a command to enable it.

Speaking of lines, when I use -W20 the ends of each line segment is capped
by a square which is the same color as the line but 2 or 3 times as wide.
The net result is that pieces with many line segments (curves for example)
have a very "spiky" look.  Is there any way to smooth these out?

I've uploaded a sample to my server: http://www.sproat.us/l3glite-test.png

My l3glite command line:  l3glite -v640,480 -u6400,4800 -i1 -fh -W20 -q -l3
-s13 -o-500,1500 -z-1000 -a1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1 model.dat

I'm not sure what I can do about that.  Opengl only does flat ended wide
lines, so I draw the endpoints at what should be the appropriate width
to smooth them out.  Apparently your driver draws the points as squares
instead of circles.  I wonder if this is a common problem.  Probably,
since you're using the generic driver...

Don