 CAD / Development / 7515
Re: Moving around in a CAD model.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 04:12:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:

Well, yes that's what I'm looking for.  I don't play the games
myself so I was wondering what conventions they use.  Could you give
a little more detail on the quake style navigation?

In most FPS games these days (as far as I know), the mouse rotates the head
up, down, left and right, and the keyboard is used to walk forward,
backwards, left and right (left and right walking is generally called
strafing).  Most also have an option to invert the vertical mouse axis.

One of the more common keyboard layouts is as follows:

W: walk forward
S: walk backward
A: strafe left
D: strafe right

The above works well for games, because most have the shift key mapped to
something important, and moving your left hand over one set of keys from the
default home position leaves your pinky over the shift key while allowing
your other fingers to be right over the above keys.  Since it is unlikely
you would need shift to be important, you might be better off using E, D, S,
and F instead.

This leaves you with the question of what keys to use for flying up and
down, but T and G would probably work well.  W and R are probably easier to
get to, but are far less intuitive as to which should be up and which should
be down.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)