 CAD / Development / 7646
Re: MPD spec
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 18:31:32 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Travis Cobbs wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Sproaticus wrote:

This is a very good question, and is even more important
with the migration to a single filename suffix (.LDR).

MPD files should not be named ".ldr" (or ".dat")!

I wasn't here for the .ldr extension discussions, so
this may well have already been covered, but why not
".ldr"?

Because we ought to differentiate between files that can be
processed directly by LDraw, and those which have to be
filtered through another tool (a MPD splitter) before LDraw
can render them.

If we decide to scrap LDraw compatibility, this is of course
a different matter.

Also, if we want to maintain the LDraw compatibility of MPD
files, the files they contain really should have names,
which can exist on a DOS file system.

And one further consequence of maintaining LDraw
compatibility is that the meaning of a MPD file must be
equivalent to unpacking/splitting it first and then
rendering the first file in it with LDraw. Which means that
one MPD file can not refer to another MPD file.

I'd like to weigh in on this issue.  I like using the .ldr
extension for everything.  I also like being able to refer
to another MPD file (with the .ldr extension) from within
an MPD file.  I also like being able to call the the first
subfile the same name as the file it's in.  For example,
the file myhouse.ldr begins with these lines:

  0 FILE myhouse.ldr
  0
  1 blah blah blah 1stfloor.ldr
  1 blah blah blah 2ndfloor.ldr
  1 blah blah blah roof.ldr
  0
  0 FILE 1stfloor.ldr
  1 blah blah blah kitchen.ldr
  1 blah blah blah bathroom.ldr

If you unmpd this it would overwrite myhouse.ldr (the MPD file)
with myhouse.ldr (the ordinary DAT file) and everything would work,
even in ldraw.  Perhaps the unmpd program should ask if you want
to back up the MPD file before overwriting it, though.

This seems to work just fine in ldview and with the l3 parser
in ldglite and l3lab, even if kitchen.ldr is another MPD file.
I admit the ldlite parser has trouble with it, but it has other
problems with MPD files that that still need fixing anyhow.

Also everything is implicitly in the public scope, as it would be
if you unmpd everything.  But you can create your own private
scope by adding subdirectories to the filenames.  I recommend
relative paths for this because of portability issues.

  1 blah blah blah mylibrary\furniture\couch.ldr

  0 FILE mylibrary\furniture\couch.ldr

I think this convention should allow for multiple couch.ldr files
from different library directories, but I haven't tested it yet.

Don