Re: MPD spec
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 20:02:58 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:

Because we ought to differentiate between files that can be
processed directly by LDraw, and those which have to be
filtered through another tool (a MPD splitter) before LDraw
can render them.

If we decide to scrap LDraw compatibility, this is of course
a different matter.

Also, if we want to maintain the LDraw compatibility of MPD
files, the files they contain really should have names,
which can exist on a DOS file system.

And one further consequence of maintaining LDraw
compatibility is that the meaning of a MPD file must be
equivalent to unpacking/splitting it first and then
rendering the first file in it with LDraw. Which means that
one MPD file can not refer to another MPD file.

These are good points.

Perhaps we should define the spec with two levels:  "strict MPD" and
"expanded MPD".  Strict MPD would require everything necessary to render
files with ldraw:

- All names on FILE statements follow the DOS filenaming standard, including
  the 8.3 format and character restrictions, and are case-insensitive.
- The directory delimiter is '\'.
- The filename of the mpd should not be the same as any of the names used
  on the contained FILE statements.
- Only non-MPD files may be referenced by linetype 1 commands.  The referenced
  files may either be included in the MPD, or may be on the user's filesystem.

Expanded MPD would allow:

- Names which are not valid file/paths on any OS. (maybe this one should
  be part of a "permissive MPD" level ;)
- Names are case-sensitive.
- Names may violate the 8.3 restriction.
- MPD files may be referenced as regular subfiles/parts.