Re: MPD spec
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 15:05:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss writes:

Perhaps we should define the spec with two levels:  "strict MPD" and
"expanded MPD".  Strict MPD would require everything necessary to render
files with ldraw:

Or perhaps MPD and LD2.

We have discussed the time for a new, not LDraw compatible standard years
ago. I don't like the idea of an "almost LDraw compatible" standard. Isn't
it better to go all the way with maybe type 6, 7, 8... commands than keep
building on a very good but sometimes not good enough foundation?

I can appreciate your concern.  For now, let me develop a document that
treats the two specs as variations.  If you're unhappy with my results,
we could easily rework it into two totally separate standards.

BUT, IMO, a new standard that breaks LDraw compatibility should go a lot
farther than just letting us put macros in our files. :)

And, I'm not sure about using a linetype for delimiting macros.  Since
the parameters are strictly text, should a new standard support
text-keyword commands?

  MACRO START mysubmodel
     1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3001.dat
     1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3001.dat
     1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3001.dat
  MACRO END mysubmodel

... but that's a can of worms I don't want to get into today. :)

Steve