Re: MPD spec
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:30:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Tore Eriksson wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:

I think the MPD standard should include scoping/visibility rules, so
FILEs in an mpd are only available from within that MPD, not from other
DAT/LDR/MPD files.

I think so, too.

Me too. And originally, you actually had to split a MPD file
before you could view the contents. I would prefer that we
stick to this way of treating MPD files as if they are
splitted/unpacked before their content is processed.

I disagree with this.  Or, if we keep this approach for MPD, I'll want
another standard language extension for embedding "macros" in LDraw files.
I tend to view (and use) FILEs in MPD files as "subroutines", and I'd prefer
they were designed to work that way.

Also, as Tore pointed out already, some programs support names on FILE lines
that are totally invalid as physical file names.  Although I can see many
reasons *not* to use this capability, I can also see reasons *to* use it.

Steve