Re: Paths, explicit drive references, and the case of file names (Was: MPD spec)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:37:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

Tore Eriksson wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:

Should probably also add the following...

- paths are allowed, so are explicit drive references.

I am not sure about explicit drive references. Actually, I
think we should limit it to _relative_ paths.

I'd prefer we say that local/absolute references are allowed, but
provide guidelines to show that relative paths are usually better -
easier to manage, easier to share, etc.

I tend to disagree.  Given that the whole point of MPD files is to allow
LDraw files to be more portable across multiple machines, I think absolute
paths should be disallowed.  It doesn't make sense to me to allow absolute
paths in a file format that is designed to allow files to be easily moved
from one machine to another.

We should also decide on a preferred - or maybe even fixed -
directory name delimiter. I suppose that it should be "\",
even though Unix and Mac people probably have different
preferences.

Yes, yes, and I'm guessing yes.

Given that there are lots of existing files that may use either, I'm not
sure specifying it at this time is a good idea.  However, if we do decide to
pick one, then I think '/' is by far the best choice.  It's a little know
fact, but '/' works just as well as a directory separator as '\' in both DOS
and all versions of Windows.  It just doesn't work with most command line
tools because they treat it as the argument specifier.  Someone will have to
check DOS compatibility if that's an issue, but I'm pretty sure it works;
checking requires writing your own program, though, because of its
interpretation as an argument specifier on the command line.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)