 CAD / Development / 7644
Re: MPD spec
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:22:22 GMT

I think I am going to load referenced subparts only and use the first
one of recursive mpd files, ignoring the rest for now for LD4DModeler's
MPD support.

Roland.

Steve Bliss wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, rmelkert wrote:

I was wondering, didn't see it discussed in the text, is it permitted /
custom to have ldraw files in a mpd file reference other mpd files?

Good question.  Different programs have more (or less) success at
handling this.  L3Lab seems to have no trouble with it.  LDLite usually
does ok, but not always (unfortunately, I don't have an example).

If so is the first part in the file used or is there some naming
convention pointing to the correctsubpart (e.g. brick.mpd:1x1.dat).

There's no special syntax, the rendering program would use the first
FILE encountered in the sub-mpd as the primary model from that file.

Or do you just recursive load all mpd files to memory and then start
parsing the parts with their original names. But this kinda contradicks
the text saying to only parse references parts.

It gets tricky here -- files are only loaded as they are referenced, but
renderers may retain loaded FILEs in memory, and later reference them
(even after the sub-mpd is exitted).

I think the MPD standard should include scoping/visibility rules, so
FILEs in an mpd are only available from within that MPD, not from other
DAT/LDR/MPD files.

Steve