 CAD / Development / 7575
Re: MPD spec
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 05:02:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Roland Melkert writes:
I was wondering, didn't see it discussed in the text, is it permitted /
custom to have ldraw files in a mpd file reference other mpd files?

If so is the first part in the file used or is there some naming
convention pointing to the correctsubpart (e.g. brick.mpd:1x1.dat).

Or do you just recursive load all mpd files to memory and then start
parsing the parts with their original names. But this kinda contradicks
the text saying to only parse references parts.

This is a very good question, and is even more important with the migration
to a single filename suffix (.LDR).  What happens when your type-1 line
refers to a LDR that happens to be a multi-part dat?

I don't know about the other parsers, but as far as LDView is concerned an
LDraw file is an LDraw file is an LDraw file.  It makes no distinctions
between ldr files, dat files, and mpd files.  If it sees a 0 FILE command,
it starts its MPD processing of that file.  Meaning, it creates a new model
in memory and passes off the file reading to that new model.  Each time a 0
FILE line is encountered, this is done.  If it doesn't see a 0 FILE line
anywhere, it just treats the file like a normal file.  I haven't tested it,
but if an MPD file references an external file that happens to itself
contain 0 FILE lines, it should still work just fine as far as LDView is
concerned.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)