 CAD / Development / 7716
Re: DAT files: Do No Harm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:38:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of the output of my fexible object
Plugin for LDDesignPad.  I add some informational comments and credit myself
and Fredrik for the code generation.  Is this undesired?  If so, it can
easily be modified to the credit lines at the top, but what about the
informational lines I add.

I haven't tried your plugin, so I can't really comment on the
informational lines -- do they have to do with the data/code, or are
they an "about the flexible object plugin" type of thing?  Information
about the data/code (how to use, source data, etc) is definitely a good
thing.

Again, for model files, I don't have a strong opinion about generated
credit comments.  It's nice to get credit for your work. :)  But I think
the humans running the tools generally deserve a fair amount of credit,
too.

For part files that are going into the parts library, I'd like to limit
this stuff to one-liners.  STL2DAT generates a single line in the
header.  It's something like "File generated by STL2DAT".

To be absolutely precise, I'd like this one-line comment to appear
*after* the author line, and before the Unofficial line.  For
programs/tools that generate blocks of code (rather than entire files),
I think a one-line comment at the top of the block would be alright.
Then again, if I use a tool a lot, and it litters my files with bunches
of lines like "This code was generated with the awesome LDWonderTool,
get it at www.ldwondertool.net!" and "End of LDWonderTool Code Block",
I'm going to get tired of it fairly quickly.

Steve