 CAD / Development / 7693
7692  |  7694
Subject:
Handling Stickers Without a Known Number
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:19:19 GMT

I'd like some feedback on the following.  Do you like the idea?  Dislike it?

I've recieved a request, asking for a part number for a sticker whose
original sheet number is not known.  If you'll remember, we earlier
discussed using the numbers from the sticker sheets as the main part number
for sticker files.

Normally, I'd allocate a number from my reserve of 3DN's (3 Digit Numbers)
for the part file.  But I'm concerned that there could be a large number of
stickers-of-unknown-sheet, and we'd use a lot of 3DN's on them.

So my idea is this: select a single 3DN to use for all such stickers, and
apply a suffix code for each individual sticker.  So, if the designated 3DN
was 999, we might have sticker files like 999s01, 999s02, and 999s03.

I ran this idea past Chris Dee, and he was generally in favor of it.  Except
that he pointed out that we have 2 more filename characters to use, so we
could actually have sticker 'numbers' like 999s0000, 999s0001, etc.

Please, let me know what you think of this.

Steve