 Administrative / General / 3618
Re: Cats and pigeons...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 21:01:20 GMT

Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote:
However, the reasons I felt the way I did still stand.  LUGNET as a community
is in a potentially fragile situation with the Lego Company, and should avoid
actions which might legitimately bring in the lawyers.  I also disagree with
the publicly accessable == public domain argument.  (Take it into

I don't think anyone is saying that "publicly accessible = public domain".
What we're saying is: "made publicly accessible on a web site = made
publicly accessible", which seems pretty clear to me. Putting something on a
web site certainly doesn't destroy your copyright or other IP rights.

To use yet another analogy: if someone posts something in the window of
their store, they can't tell me that it's illegal to read what they've
posted. Even if it happens to be the back window facing a (public!) alley.

Of course, that doesn't give me the right to copy what they've posted and
put it up in my own window -- that'd violate their copyright. But that's not
what happened here!

If Lego or any other company wants to bring in their lawyers on this one, I
certainly hope that we would 1) have the resources to fight them, and 2) do
so. But more than that, since they are a company that I like and respect, I
hope that they wouldn't do anything so silly.

[Followups _not_ set to off-topic.debate -- I think this is a key on-topic
administrative issue. Furthermore, I hope I'm more "clarifying" than
debating, since from your statement above I think you just misinterpretted.]