 Administrative / General / 3501
Re: Cats and pigeons...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 23:19:32 GMT

Could we be getting served different pages?  I don't see a "catalogue" or
"catalogue" link anywhere from the "Lego Finder" page.  But I can get to the
Europe/Africa page form the URL hint from SteveB:

I think we have been victims of an internet cacheing/replication problem.

My guess is someone at lego made changes this morning to the web site in
preparation for the new catalog.
Before it was completed, some of the new pages/database information got linked
into their public site
It got replicated around the world, gradually, as people hit their local ISP's
cache.
Someone at lego noticed the mistake and backed out the changes.

Now as people browsed looking for these new sets, some folks are getting pages
served by a local cache that is not getting updated quickly enough so are
seening the old site
Some people are seeing the site with 2000 sets
And others (like me I think) are now seeing it AFTER it has been corrected.

As I said in earlier post it was interesting that depending on the ISP I used,
I got different views. One showed the 2000 sets, the other didnt. Clearly
their cacheing in action.
Through the day this changed, the sets were not there, then they were, then
they were gone again, then they REAPPEARED again, then disappeared again!
Currently I cant see them.
Presumably as pages and changed ebbed and flowed through the caches of the
world wide web!

It seems to me they are almost ready to post this stuff. Its all there except
for a couple of the images on the buttons. But who knows, they may prepare
this weeks, months in advance. Who knows when it is supposed to be live?
It could have been today, but someone didnt get it right, now they are fixing
it and it might appear correctly tomorrow.

regards
lawrence