 Administrative / General / 3545
Re: Cats and pigeons...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 02:02:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, James Powell writes:
But, they were there.  I would think that makes Remy's post fine, and
I think (again this is just personal feeling) that Todd, you should
apoligise and retract your statement (at least part of it) (post 405
to announcements).  Remy only posted what he had found, and they -are-
still there.  [...]

Wholeheartedly agreed.

I also feel that Todd, you -must- clarify what is and is not acceptable for
linking to 'new' images.  Otherwise, you cannot complain if someone does not
follow what you have not said.  Make a general announcement, after you have
thought up what you want to say.

I think we'll have to ("have to" as in "makes the most sense to") see if
we can get some sort of "rulebook" or "playbook" clarifications from LEGO,
hopefully via LEGO Direct, and use that as the standing ground.  One thing
becoming apparent here is that when LEGO wrote up their "Fair Play" documents
they never could have imagined this level of fanatacism and info-seeking.
Heck maybe the reason they never mentioned the retailer catalogs on the
Fair Play page is because they thought fans would never see them in the first
place, or maybe they didn't even want people to know they exited.  Either
way, I don't think there's a soul alive who's been following along who
could've predicted the extent of this whole mess.

I agree completely, going forward we need to clarify things as much as
possible, hopefully with concrete examples.

Todd, you cannot expect all of us to have the same feelings towards the
rights of others when it comes to distributing catalogs and so on.  If
-your- views are xyz, you -own- this site, and are ultimatly resposible
for it, and you can tell people not to discuss it here.

It still (as it always did) comes down mostly to not breaking that law and
not trouncing on the rights of others, but yeah, exactly how that's defined
has been very weel defined.

--Todd