 Administrative / General / 3505
Re: Cats and pigeons...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 23:25:48 GMT

James Brown wrote in message ...
In lugnet.admin.general, James Brown writes:
Agree with Larry here.  If I can browse to it freely just by going to
www.lego.com and clicking on links (and I can) - then it is public.

(Question) You can start at <http://www.lego.com/> and see the same • year-2000
pictures as the ones linked to in the list posted by Remy just by clicking
links, without having to change the URL manually??

Absolutely.

1: browse to http://www.lego.com
2: follow hyperlinks/buttons "Lego Finder", "catalogue", "Europe/Africa",
"System" "Knight's Kingdom"
3: select a set from the drop down list (or use the one that's there)
4: click the magnifying glass in the lower right corner of the main image.

There you are.

Gone now...

Either TLC is committing a development sin here, or some hackers are having
some fun. Assuming it isn't hackers, it appears that someone is testing new
material on the live public site. Any web site like this should have an
internal test mirror, where all the new material is tested, and then, only
when ready to go live, is the stuff copied onto the live site.

I'm not totally clear on the ethics of posting directions on how to get to
something on a web site in this situation, though I would have a hard time
faulting anyone for posting such. I hope the powers that be at TLC are
watching the madhouse of posting, and realize that they need to seize
control of the situation. If they are very serious about this material not
being leaked, someone's job should be on the line. In any case, they need to
stop testing on the live site.

If what is going on is a hacker, they need to pull their connection to the
internet for this server, and figure out where their security hole is.

Frank