 Administrative / General / 3474
Re: Cats and pigeons...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 21:51:26 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:

Todd Lehman wrote:
I'm not following you at this point. Were you seriously contemplating
shutting down all of LUGNET because someone posted a URL to some images
on the lego.com site? Images that are out in public view? Images
therefore covered under the fairplay policy?
I'm looking for a solution (even an imperfect one) to an extremely complex
problem which I'm afraid doesn't exist (the solution, that is).

The first thing you can do, instead of bouncing the server, is to bump off the
folks who *flagrantly* flout your request to not post sensitive TLC info.
Specifically, *this* info.  Personally, I'd yank Remy's posting privs
immediately.

I'm not talking about stifling free speech here, just some basic CYA.  If
someone wants to disseminate Lego trade secrets, they can use someone else's
server.

I'm missing something here. Retailer catalogs are one thing. They're
pretty clearly not for general consumption. But why exactly are the
images in question trade secrets? They are posted on a public server by
TLG with no protection whatever.

Read my post about IP law:
http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=3467

If it's on a server on the internet, and it's not protected in any way,
it's fair game. I think we're getting spun up unnecessarily at this
point.

Using this line of logic, you could say that posting how to defeat the
cookie that makes you log in every time you go to the webclub:
http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=11020

is wrong. After all, TLG *intends* you to have to log in each time, no?
C'mon people, let's not go off the deep end paranoia wise. Yank Remy's
posting privileges? Please, way overreacting...

Is there anyone here who doubts my extremely strong pro property rights
stance in general?