 Administrative / General / 3478
Re: Cats and pigeons...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 22:11:33 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Sproaticus wrote:
The first thing you can do, instead of bouncing the server, is to bump off the
folks who *flagrantly* flout your request to not post sensitive TLC info.
Specifically, *this* info.  Personally, I'd yank Remy's posting privs
immediately.
I'm missing something here. Retailer catalogs are one thing. They're
pretty clearly not for general consumption. But why exactly are the
images in question trade secrets? They are posted on a public server by
TLG with no protection whatever.
Read my post about IP law:
http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=3467

I can't help but feel that this logic is flawed.  Basically, this argument
goes along the same lines as, "we are physically free to walk out the 7-11
door with an unpaid-for pack of gum, so we should be allowed to".  But the
thing is, is that we as TLC's customers have an unwritten contract with TLC to
act responsibly.

If it's on a server on the internet, and it's not protected in any way,
it's fair game. I think we're getting spun up unnecessarily at this
point.

Sure, it's Lego's goof for allowing the images to be accessed from their
public Web site.  But it's *still* proprietary information until TLC
officially and conciously releases it to the public.  And it's our
responsibility to respect their property.

So there's two parties at fault here.  Let's not excuse one because of the
other.

Using this line of logic, you could say that posting how to defeat the
cookie that makes you log in every time you go to the webclub:
http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=11020
is wrong. After all, TLG *intends* you to have to log in each time, no?
C'mon people, let's not go off the deep end paranoia wise. Yank Remy's
posting privileges? Please, way overreacting...

I agree, it wasn't the best thing for Todd to publish.  Arguably, how that
cookie is *used* by the LEGO.COM servers is unpublished information.
Reverse-engineering something without permission, then publishing your results
while inviting others to try it, is not the best way to make friends.

Now, if LUGNET *were* a leak club, I wouldn't have any issues with it.  But,
it seems to me, Todd is striving to make LUGNET a Web site to be respected by
both TLC and their customers.

ergo, the reason for my opinion that Remy's posting privs should be yanked for
such a flagrant disregard for LUGNET's position.

Cheers,
- jsproat

"Hello.  My name is Jeremy, and I'm a...a brick chewer."
  (in unison) "Hi, Jeremy."