 Trains / 12817
Re: Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:21:57 GMT

Eric McCarthy wrote:

Frank Filz wrote:

Erik Olson wrote:

[snip]

I don't have a problem adjusting to being in a minority, because we've been
coddled lately. LUGNET however has allowed the illusion that we really are
all that important and more.

Brad made it clear that while we are a minor part of their market, we
ARE important to them. We represent a very dedicated fan base which will
promote the brand, we happily provide information (another one Brad
mentioned - they DID use the "parts survey" as an input to their
decision making and it sounded like he was somewhat dissapointed it had
fallen by the wayside).

I don't know about all of you, but there are at least 6 non-AFOL families
who regularly ask me for Lego advice (including help on buying out-of-production
sets).  I have told them exactly what I think about Lego Racers, Juniorization,
Bionicle, and other issues commonly discussed on Lugnet.  If I am typical, then
TLC marketing is probably underestimating our influence by a substantial factor.

I think they're underestimating it less than you think. Brad touched on
this type of impact. However, I think their feeling is their whole Mania
Club/S@H consituency fits this bill.

Brad also made it clear that while he completely understood that we
don't buy juniorization or racers (I bet you'd be surprised by the
number of AFOLs buying Bionicle), they are also not targetted at our
market segment. They are targetted at today's kids who have been
conditioned to more instant gratification and action oriented play. They
also hope and understand that if they expose a kid to some building
before the action oriented play, that perhaps some of those kids will
realize the building part is play also... Some of the new lines
(Throwbots, Bionicle, and Racers) are also targetting the kids
"collectible" market. Kids have always collected (in fact, people have
probably always collected - ever thought about what's REALLY behind a
zoo or library - and those are ancient concepts).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com