 Trains / 12321
Re: Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 15:54:24 GMT

I don't understand how re-releasing these sets is bad for anyone. If you're
a collector, you'll want the original set with its original box. The Legends
packaging is distinctly different from the original packaging. Also, many
Lego pieces are manufactured slightly differently these days, so your
original set will have smiley heads without holes in the top, plates without
little holes in their bottom pegs, etc. The original sets are still rare and
still collectible. Just because you can get a reproduction of an old comic
book, it doesn't mean the first edition is any less valuable.

If you're more of a builder, here's a way to get a bunch of cool parts.
Granted, these sets aren't cheap, but that's another topic altogether.

Who loses in this scenario? Probably only people who currently sell sets
loose on eBay. I can see how sets without their original packaging could
become less valuable. These sellers will just have to keep their cool sets
and find a new source of revenue.

Jacob

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
But now we have the Legend series and I'm not glad about it at all. There have
been some worth to read discussions (mainly Europeans against Americans) about
the Guarded Inn and at this point we have the same effects concerning the
trains. I think Jojo has said nearly all about what makes a set a legend and
why a re-released legend is a dead legend:
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=9395

As a matter of fact I have to declare: Lego® ist not only a toy, but also a
collectors item. Many people collect sets (and pay lots of money for it).
Others just need the parts for playing. Most of us do both: collect things and
play with the stuff. I think TLC should take care of both groups: the "players"
want to have stuff for MOCs easily available, the "collectors" want to have
rare sets.