 Trains / 12309
Re: Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 02:48:32 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.trains, Erik Olson writes:
One thing Brad Justus said on Saturday was that LUGNET estimates of how many
Guarded Inns were being ordered were "way off" -- the point was that many,
many times more are being bought by parents of kids. Sales "went through the
roof" when the S@H catalog went out.

That proves that more sales are generated by the catalog than by people reading
lugnet.  It *doesn't* say anything about the people making those purchases.
Who knows whether it's parents, kids or AFOLs placing the orders?

Some people think that LUGNET is the center of the LEGO universe.  I'd
compare us to a section of seats at a sporting event, with a couple of
hecklers making the most noise.  There might be 500+ seats, but only two
people trying to get the most attention.  Sure, we LUGNET AFOLs make a lot
of noise, but we're really a small part of the LEGO market!

Exactly.  The stadium is everyone buying lego, the section is AFOLs, the two
people are LUGNET.

I've said it before: LUGNET represents a relatively small portion of the AFOL
market.  *Serious* LEGO maniacs wouldn't waste time on the computer, when they
could be playing with their bricks.

I think it will also be true that for every AFOL who never got a Metroliner
before now, there will be a hundred kids who get one.
Speaking as a real 'train head', this *has* to be a good thing.  :-)

I totally agree with you there.

Steve