 Trains / 12275
Re: Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:11:01 GMT

"Reinhard "Ben" Beneke" <r.beneke@tu-bs.de> wrote in message
news:GGKnuE.8rt@lugnet.com...
But tell me why do you need a Metroliner, but are not willing to pay its
marketprice?

Of course I don't "need" a 4558. But I desire one. But I won't pay secondary
prices.
I have a budget and have many priorities in life that are way ahead of Lego.

Would you have had a problem with a evidently changed Metroliner
(for e.g. in dark gray)?

No. But I doubt LD would go for the costs associated with "tweaking" an old
set.

I was speaking of the assumption that the now released line of Legends • became a
big success and make lots of profit. Surely TLC would follow then this way • and
the best sets of the 9V line have been 4558, 4547, 4551 and 4536. the last • two
one are "in danger" to be re-released.

What do you mean by "in danger?" Are you offering up 4551 and 4536 has
potential Legends? Bring them on! I will buy them.

Bryan:
I'm sure Brad & Lego
Direct will examine all the lines and themes and ensure that they have • equal
representation in Legends. There are a lot of sets and I'm sure the Space
fans are waiting for the Galaxy Explorer.

Ben:
Yes, I fear this will be one of the next dead legends. Would anybody have • a
problem with a new Classic Space Logo (or a mirrored one)?

You are probably right on this one. But again, why would LD put forth the
cost and effort to tweak a set? I don't think that LD would sell more of a
tweaked set as opposed to a 100% re-issue. If anything, the cost associated
with minor changes to a set to satify the collectors would only hurt LD's
profit margins.

The Legends are helpful for
a) Children getting into Lego for the first time.
But they do not need a 100% copy and kids do not buy via S@H at • www.lego.com
anyway.

No, children don't need a 100% copy. But the 100% copy sold like hotcakes
from what I heard from the LD Chat at Brickfest. And I'm sure it was
purchased by parents who said "Gee, this looks like the Lego toys I
remember, not the stuff that fills 80% of the rest of the catalog."

b) Adults who put Lego away during the early 90's and missed out on a lot
fantastic sets.
Adult could affort the real sets or live with not 100% copies either

From the posts in LUGNET, must adults *DO* have a budget and don't like
paying the high costs on the secondary market. I'm an adult, with a very
good, very comfortable paying job. But I don't have a never ending source of
funds.

And I think overall the adults on this side of the Atlantic do want 100%
copies.

c) Anyone who does not have the funds to purchase these sets on the
secondary market.
I would prefer to own one "real" legend instead of 5 cheap copies of
one...

Again, your preference comes from a collector's point of view. As far as I'm
concerned, my "cheap copy" is the same thing. Except the torsos are
different. And the box. Big deal. But I got a bonus Indian horse and you
don't!. ;)

I have bought some MISB train sets during the past years (even over 30 • years
old ones!): I have opened them all. I'm no MISB-freak, but I know about • friends
who are: still - what's wrong about?

Absolutely nothing.

Even if people try to make profit by buying sealed stuff: Is making profit
suddenly wrong?

I never said it was wrong. I'm all for the free market. However the term
"collectors market" leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. It brings up
images of surly looking guys behind dealer tables with an excess of comic
books, trading cards, sports memorabilia and Beanie Babies. I don't think
anyone wants to see this happen to Lego products.

I just don't see any downside to Lego re-releasing these beauties. AFOLs, at
least here on Lugnet, have been clamoring for reissued sets for at least as
long as I've been using Lugnet.

Bryan