 Trains / 12317
Re: Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 22:27:14 GMT

I thought Lego was a company that makes toys, to be played with.
Trading cards are made to be collected, not to be used as drink coasters.

If a Lego set is in demand, then Lego will make more of that set because to
them it indicates that the sets being played with. They wont stop making
that item just because they think that set will be a collectible. What
benefit does that provide to them?

Are we perhaps getting confused between whats a collectible, and whats an
item in demand?

Santosh

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.trains, Bryan Kinkel writes:
Here we go again...

"Reinhard "Ben" Beneke" <r.beneke@tu-bs.de> wrote in message
As a matter of fact I have to declare: Lego® ist not only a toy, but also • a
collectors item. Many people collect sets (and pay lots of money for it).
Others just need the parts for playing. Most of us do both: collect things • and
play with the stuff. I think TLC should take care of both groups: the • "players"
want to have stuff for MOCs easily available, the "collectors" want to • have
rare sets.

Ugh.

Ben, I really do respect you and your building achievements, but I have to
disagree here.

In the end, I can't stand the fact that Lego is a "collector's item". The
fact of the matter is this - collectors drive up prices.

Only the prices for the collectors item. I wish Lego to serve both groups as I
said, but at the moment Lego works "against" the collectors. I see no advantage
for TLC to do so: the collectors make the prices for used stuff high. this
helps TLC to sell new stuff at high prices also: good for their profit.

I am a builder, not a collector. While I do have a "Lego collection", I
don't purchase the product to see the price rise, or to sit models on a
glass shelf never to be touched again. I don't purchase the product just for
the sake of having something that few others have. I don't purchase the
product just for the satisfaction of owning it.

Sometime I do all the above mentioned: lots of other people do the same. What's
wrong about it?

I open all my sets.

I do it in the same way, but I do not damn those who collect MISB sets. Why
should I do. They share my hobby (even if it is in a strongly different way,
but I do not damn Bionicle fans either.)

I build
models and I can't wait to see what my daughter does with Lego.

...and nearly all people around
have a Metroliner now, so we do not need more copies of this set, which is
weekly sold 10 times via eBay.

Wrong. How do you know what sets I have?
I don't have a Metroliner. Or a Club Car. I will not pay $250 for a used
4558. I won't pay $350+ for a MISB 4558. And I would much rather purchase a
set from directly from S@H instead of on the secondary market.

But tell me why do you need a Metroliner, but are not willing to pay its
marketprice? Would you have had a problem with a evidently changed Metroliner
(for e.g. in dark gray)?

And my last point (not too unimportant!): if the AFOL-market gets the
Metroliner now, this decreases evidently the chance to get a new well • designed
train set (with new parts and new part-colour-combinations). Instead, the • next
train set to follow the 4565 will probably be juniorized even worse than
4560.

And what evidence do you have of this? In my opinion, all signs point to the
fact that the 9v train line is alive and kicking. And the models are getting
better and better.

Trains are alive, but I see them not become better and better. 3225 was a lame
set, 4560 also, 2126 was only a good spare part box. My own train and the
new waggons are quite ok (back on the level of the mid-nineties, but not better
than anything from the 80ies.)

(and as an aside, I would rather see smaller, similar
themed cars as separate sets rather than big $140 sets)

I agree.

If the legends become a success this will just mean more 4560-like sets on • the
one hand and more re-releases (I think 4551 and 4536 will be next. Yes, • 4551 is
a cool set, but a green or brown 4551 with gray wheel blocks would be a
fantastic set!)

Again, what evidence do you have of this assumption? I doubt there will be
another train-oriented Legends release for a long time.

I was speaking of the assumption that the now released line of Legends became a
big success and make lots of profit. Surely TLC would follow then this way and
the best sets of the 9V line have been 4558, 4547, 4551 and 4536. the last two
one are "in danger" to be re-released.

I'm sure Brad & Lego
Direct will examine all the lines and themes and ensure that they have equal
representation in Legends. There are a lot of sets and I'm sure the Space
fans are waiting for the Galaxy Explorer.

Yes, I fear this will be one of the next dead legends. Would anybody have a
problem with a new Classic Space Logo (or a mirrored one)?

In the meantime, I just don't
think Lego would re-release another full sized train set for a long, long
time.

That's also speculation, but I agree. If each month means just one or two new
legends, there have to be first some other themes: Technic (953 or 8880?),
Pirates (6385?), Space (497 or 6954?), Town, Western, ....

The Legends are helpful for
a) Children getting into Lego for the first time.
But they do not need a 100% copy and kids do not buy via S@H at www.lego.com
anyway.
b) Adults who put Lego away during the early 90's and missed out on a lot
fantastic sets. • Adult could affort the real sets or live with not 100% copies either
c) Anyone who does not have the funds to purchase these sets on the
secondary market. • I would prefer to own one "real" legend instead of 5 cheap copies of one...
d) Anyone who wants awesome Lego sets.

The Sopwith Camel is a great set: better TLC invents new cool sets on a
quality level like that.

Ben - I'm sorry to hear that LD has taken the wind out of your collectable
sails.

It has not: thye will never re-release the 139 and others. ;-))

But there is nothing stopping you from still enjoying your closet
full of mint-in-box 4558's and other sets.

I have bought some MISB train sets during the past years (even over 30 years
old ones!): I have opened them all. I'm no MISB-freak, but I know about friends
who are: still - what's wrong about?

Even if people try to make profit by buying sealed stuff: Is making profit
suddenly wrong?

Kind Regards,

Ben