 Trains / 12354
Re: Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 22:10:08 GMT

The collector mentality is nothing but Magpie-ism and pandering to it with
'rare' 'limited series' 'numbered editions' and other marketing goop is just
plain icky. A set that isn't torn down and built into something else is a
misfit toy. The legends are dead! Long live the Legends Series!

Oh Really...magpie-ism...hmmm...what do you call the fact that people have
bought several multiple copies of the set?  Sure some of the purchasers
will part out the set to build other things...or in the case of train, will
use the parts to build up their collection...others will simply buy the sets
to sell the sets on brickbay for exorbanent amounts of money....
I am not saying brickbay isn't all bad, but case in point.... before this
weekend vendors were selling new Club Cars for excess of $150, and used ones
for $75....
I don't buy Lego for the "numbers", I buy Lego for a specific set in mind...
so I don't care if the set is in the legends line-up or not...
to me the whole argument is really stupid....
just as much as people complaining how bad the printing was on the guarded
inn....who cares???  It's $25 for a set that has more than 100 pieces...I
doubt very many sets offered today could do that!!!!

My ultimate point is that instead of fighting over collectors vs enthusiasts,
everyone gets enough copies for their needs and makes all aware of the legends
(especially the non-Lugnet Lego enthusiasts)....and others who are thinking
about getting into Lego but find the "current line" repulsive....

Then get together, and discuss and push for certain bulk packs....I feel
the more the bulk selection, the closer we can get to better set
customization....a real key to creativity...

Benjamin Medinets