 Trains / 12257

Subject:
Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:21:17 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Dear all!

I'm really glad with most of the latest news we have heared from TLC. Bulk
order becomes better and better, (in Germany you can buy at S@H even without
credit card!), the "My Own Trains" and the new waggons are nice as models and
especially for delivering spares. The Sopwith Camel is one of the greatest sets
ever in my eyes and Harry Potter isn't as bad as many people think about
it, since it offers lots of play fun (for kids) and lots of nice detailed sets
for not too
much money. Only the Hogwarts Express is a very lame modell in my opinion.

But now we have the Legend series and I'm not glad about it at all. There have
been some worth to read discussions (mainly Europeans against Americans) about
the Guarded Inn and at this point we have the same effects concerning the
trains. I think Jojo has said nearly all about what makes a set a legend and
why a re-released legend is a dead legend:
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=9395

As a matter of fact I have to declare: Lego® ist not only a toy, but also a
collectors item. Many people collect sets (and pay lots of money for it).
Others just need the parts for playing. Most of us do both: collect things and
play with the stuff. I think TLC should take care of both groups: the "players"
want to have stuff for MOCs easily available, the "collectors" want to have
rare sets.

The easiest way to solve this conflict would have been to do some slight
changes in the new releases (for e.g. colour modifications and new printings.)
The players would get the wished stuff for playing (who would care about a
mirrored print, if he wants to play with the stuff?) and the collectors would
be glad to find a new item to get it into the collection. For example the new
Metroliner could have been same as the old one, but in dark gray.

I would buy such a set immediately (imagine how much new cool MOCs you could
make up with dark gray bricks!). But I see nothing good in a simple 100% copy
of 4558: grey windows are available at S@H anyway and nearly all people around
have a Metroliner now, so we do not need more copies of this set, which is
weekly sold 10 times via eBay.

And my last point (not too unimportant!): if the AFOL-market gets the
Metroliner now, this decreases evidently the chance to get a new well designed
train set (with new parts and new part-colour-combinations). Instead, the next
train set to follow the 4565 will probably be juniorized even worse than 4560.

If you ask me, TLC would have done a bigger favour to us AFOLs if they had
released a new set maybe somewhat similar to 4564, but with cool new colours
like dark gray, tan, brown etc. I want to see a set with big train wheels
(including the possibility to add connecting rods) and with dark gray (or red)
wheel blocks, with dark gray magnet couplings etc. THAT would have been worth a
"Woow!!"

If the legends become a success this will just mean more 4560-like sets on the
one hand and more re-releases (I think 4551 and 4536 will be next. Yes, 4551 is
a cool set, but a green or brown 4551 with gray wheel blocks would be a
fantastic set!)

The new 1000x series just kills legends and is not helpful for me at
all, since I get just "boring" stuff I have right now.... (I'm both collector
and builder).

Kind Regards,

Ben

Re: Another Legend dies....
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

But now we have the Legend series and I'm not glad about it at all. There have
been some worth to read discussions (mainly Europeans against Americans) about
the Guarded Inn and at this point we have the same effects concerning the
trains. I think Jojo has said nearly all about what makes a set a legend and
why a re-released legend is a dead legend:
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=9395

Just reread that thread and the takeaway I got is that most people here in
the US anyway don't have a lot of sympathy for what apparently was the
majority view on 1000steine...

As a matter of fact I have to declare: Lego® ist not only a toy, but also a
collectors item. Many people collect sets (and pay lots of money for it).
Others just need the parts for playing. Most of us do both: collect things and
play with the stuff. I think TLC should take care of both groups: the "players"
want to have stuff for MOCs easily available, the "collectors" want to have
rare sets.

The easiest way to solve this conflict would have been to do some slight
changes in the new releases (for e.g. colour modifications and new printings.)
The players would get the wished stuff for playing (who would care about a
mirrored print, if he wants to play with the stuff?) and the collectors would
be glad to find a new item to get it into the collection. For example the new
Metroliner could have been same as the old one, but in dark gray.

There have been slight changes! 10000 uses different parts molds (new style
minifig torsos, 2 clip saddle, etc.) and the parts count on 10001 is going
to be different by 2! This should make the truly "anorak"y collector quite
happy. Unfortunately the changes are small enough that we have already seen
what appears to be someone trying to pass off a 10000 as an original set.

And my last point (not too unimportant!): if the AFOL-market gets the
Metroliner now, this decreases evidently the chance to get a new well designed
train set (with new parts and new part-colour-combinations). Instead, the next
train set to follow the 4565 will probably be juniorized even worse than 4560.

Um, are you saying that the 5 new cars just introduced by LD aren't a vast
step forward? They're not as good as what you or I can design (of course,
we're not constrained the same way) but they're way better than 2126.

Sure, more new sets would be better but LD doesn't have that much power yet.
Give it time. LD is changing the way things are done at TLC and what may
seem like a glacial pace to me and Hopfrog and others is really rocket speed
compared to how things get done inside the rest of TLC. I hope it speeds up
more, of course, don't get me wrong.

Re: Another Legend dies....
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

But now we have the Legend series and I'm not glad about it at all.
...why a re-released legend is a dead legend:
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=9395

Just reread that thread and the takeaway I got is that most people here in
the US anyway don't have a lot of sympathy for what apparently was the
majority view on 1000steine...

Of course there are all opinions to be found at 1000steine, but the majority is
of the opinion, that the Lego® hunting is such a big part of the hobby and they
would not like to miss it. Buying something with your credit card gives you not
the same satisfaction as finding a rare part on a flea market and trading the
next one with some other AFOL. All tose FOTM stories which we all have had are
such an important part of our hobby: I wouldn't like to miss them.

The easiest way to solve this conflict would have been to do some slight
changes in the new releases (for e.g. colour modifications and new • printings.)
The players would get the wished stuff for playing (who would care about a
mirrored print, if he wants to play with the stuff?) and the collectors would
be glad to find a new item to get it into the collection. For example the new
Metroliner could have been same as the old one, but in dark gray.

There have been slight changes!

You are right, and this is a thing I really appreciate, but as far as I read
it, lots of people are not too glad about these differences (May I call them
the "jealous people": those who would like to get the "like original" sets
cheap, which we idiots have bought at highest prices?).

10000 uses different parts molds (new style
minifig torsos, 2 clip saddle, etc.) and the parts count on 10001 is going
to be different by 2! This should make the truly "anorak"y collector quite
happy.

I agree. And the building instruction is different also. Still I would like to
see some "real" changes and I do not see the harm for the "players".

Unfortunately the changes are small enough that we have already seen
what appears to be someone trying to pass off a 10000 as an original set.

:-((

And my last point (not too unimportant!): if the AFOL-market gets the
Metroliner now, this decreases evidently the chance to get a new well • designed
train set (with new parts and new part-colour-combinations). Instead, the • next
train set to follow the 4565 will probably be juniorized even worse than • 4560.

Um, are you saying that the 5 new cars just introduced by LD aren't a vast
step forward?

No, I'm not talking about these S@H waggons, but I see black for the future of
TLC trains (the stuff you buy at your local toy store, at least here in
Germany). S@H is great and in general I'm really satisfied, how things
proceeded during the last month.

Sure, more new sets would be better but LD doesn't have that much power yet.
Give it time. LD is changing the way things are done at TLC and what may
seem like a glacial pace to me and Hopfrog and others is really rocket speed
compared to how things get done inside the rest of TLC. I hope it speeds up
more, of course, don't get me wrong.

No, of course not. And I know, most readers of lugnet.trains will not agree
with my opinion. Despite of this I felt the need to give you my opinion on the
Lego® Legends.

Leg Godt!

Ben

Re: Another Legend dies....