 Trains / 12355
Re: Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 22:18:49 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

In lugnet.trains, Bryan Kinkel writes:
Ben,
Are changing your argument against re-releases from an issue of
collectability to an issue of quality control???

No - he's not chaning his argument, he's just adding new ones as new info
comes available. I was about to post about the latest bad quality on
.lego.direct but Ben has beaten me by a few hours and mentioned it on this
thread about Legends. Since that head has been found inside a legend set I
think it's impossible to ignrore the quality-argument. His other arguments
[all really good] have been mostly ignored here and I have the impression
that you try to negotiate the bad quality too.

If interested, you may now also find a close-up of the head piece here:
http://www.brickmaster.de/Guarded/ [scroll down to updated]

Yes, we have seen problems with production runs of train bases, some alleged
printing smudgy-ness on 10000 flags, Indian horses in the 10000 boxes, etc.
I'm sure these issues will be worked out over time. Big deal. If you get a
sub-par part, Lego has always been there to rectify the situation.

Yes, that kind of service is *usually* okay. However, for example, about one
year back I did order LEGO set #5222 from S@H and one piece was missing! The
wierd thing is that it has NEVER been replaced:

http://members.tripod.de/crazymaniac/52XX/new_ele2.jpg
[ from: http://members.tripod.de/crazymaniac/52XX/52XX.html ]

I contacted the Consumer Service five times because of this element - but
each and every time I got excactly the same wrong replacement parts. So I
gave up and I still have never seen that piece in reality (since #5222 is
the only set to include it!). What do you say about replacement now - do you
think five trials without results is reasonable?

And now back to Legends and Trains :)

But are these production problems going to stop me from buying a 10001
Metroliner? No way.

No, of course not! I will certainly buy at least one copy of the new
versions, because I am happy to take what I get. But still I feel a little
sad that LEGO has stolen the spirit of the original Metroliner! It's not
becuase I am a collector and fear my collection to be worth less. And it's
not that I am jalous that everyone can now get a Metroliner or the rare
parts from it. It's simply a feeling of losing something individual, as if
someone has taken away your diary or anything that reminds you of your very
own past. It's confusing and I somehow don't like it! I don't have logical
arguments for my point of view, but I would rather NOT have seen re-releases
in the way they are! A few years back it has been possible to release #2150,
the red trains station that was originally sold in yellow. That was such a
great idea and I don't see any reason for doing the same with the Legends
line. Did you ever wonder what a Guarded Inn might look like with tan
instead of red, darkgrey instead of light and brown instead of black? Now -
that would have been something to make *really everyone* happy!

And at last - when does TLC finally come up with a re-issue that I do *not*
have the original set of already?

And I'm sure Lego would be more than happy to send Christian a new maiden
mini-figure.

Well, I will call them tomorrow and see if they can send me a new figure
without claiming the broken one. I would rather keep the damaged one - after
all I think some AFOLs would trade ten correct ones to get this "infected"
head, haha!

I have seen your pictures in Brickshelf, but I don't think there has been
much active discussion about quality control. At least in the forums I
follow (.general, .trains, .marketplace) (but feel free to direct me to the
threads if I'm wrong.)

Yes, another strange curiosity. On www.1000steine.de there is a lot of
discussion about the latest quality and many are upset about it. Could you
explain to me why the majority of Lugnet members does not care about that
extreme loss of quality - don't you care as much about the bricks?

I don't get this point. What do you have to worry about with the new
Metroliners? That they will decrease the "value" of your collection?

Well, you probably don't want to understand it. Ben came up with really good
arguments that you ignored. I agree with him in all aspects - the new sets
are too close to the first releases and in long-term they will harm the LEGO
brand.

I feel sad whenever I see another Legend has been killed! I will buy them,
but not like the circumstances of getting them.

[But I was soooo happy a few years back when #2150 was released]

P.S.: Thanks Ben for uploading the images to Brickshelf faster than I added
them on http://www.brickmaster.de/Guarded/

Bye, Christian --- xTIAN.oO
Lugnet Member #479 -- The World is full of AFOLs !
mail: xtian@brickmaster.de web: www.brickmaster.de