 Trains / 12383
Re: Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 20:43:44 GMT

No, of course not! I will certainly buy at least one copy of the new
versions, because I am happy to take what I get. But still I feel a little
sad that LEGO has stolen the spirit of the original Metroliner! It's not
becuase I am a collector and fear my collection to be worth less. And it's
not that I am jalous that everyone can now get a Metroliner or the rare
parts from it. It's simply a feeling of losing something individual, as if
someone has taken away your diary or anything that reminds you of your very
own past.

Wow, that strikes me as as a little strange.  Seeing the set
re-released shouldn't damage your nostalgia for the set.
All those happy memories are still there!

I bought a metroliner off the shelf in 1995.  It was getting rare
at the time - it had just disappeared from the catalog so I
knew it was time to splurge if I wanted it.

I loved it, had lots of fun showing it off, couldn't ever stand
the idea of disassembling it, and I don't see why other people
getting new metroliners would take those happy feelings away from
me.

Basically I'm thrilled at the idea of buying another one, so I
can make a much longer train.  Or at least buying a few of the
coveted club cars!  Yippee!

That is a very interesting notion. I saved up and bought the Metroliner when
it first came out, and I still have it today, and I love it too death.
However, just because it is coming out in a new form, does not mean I lost
that memory. I would hope that legions of new people that have never
experienced that set would have those memories, and maybe in the future,
have mor emembers of LUGNET and LUGS and so on.

These re-releases strike me as pure goodness.

I do understand that some people would like for them to be
re-released in new colors or the like, both to preserve the
collectability of the originals and to offer more choices to
fans who already have the originals, but I'm glad that the metroliner
will have its original colors.  So I can buy another and add it
to my existing train!

I didn't mind the idea of the Metrostation getting re-released
in a new color - I thought that was pretty neat, but I don't
see why that should be a requirement for the Legends series.
I say, make them as close as they can be to the originals.  The
originals will still be worth more, particularly if they have
their original packaging.  If I was a Castle Completist, I'd
sure rather have the original yellow box for the guarded inn
than a gray-scale one.

Anyway, once these sets sell out, people can go back to speculating
and auctioning off these sets.  It's not like a metroliner is
suddenly going to become passe just because it's been re-released.
Buy a Legends guarded inn now, I can guarantee that you'll be able
to make a profit on it when the re-release is discontinued.

I hope that this goes on for months, with dozens of classic sets
brought back over the next few years.  It would go a long way towards
curing my distaste towards juniorization of the current lines - at
least some good non-juniorized sets would always be available, even
if they're copies of old sets.  If LEGO can't design 'em like that
any more, so be it.  Sell us the old stuff.

Of course, I'd prefer a boost in design quality of current
offerings, too.  But I can't look this gift horse (the Legends
line) in the mouth and find anything wrong with it.

--

Jeff <jthompson@esker.com>   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"