 Trains / 12364
Re: Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 02:57:00 GMT

No, of course not! I will certainly buy at least one copy of the new
versions, because I am happy to take what I get. But still I feel a little
sad that LEGO has stolen the spirit of the original Metroliner! It's not
becuase I am a collector and fear my collection to be worth less. And it's
not that I am jalous that everyone can now get a Metroliner or the rare
parts from it. It's simply a feeling of losing something individual, as if
someone has taken away your diary or anything that reminds you of your very
own past.

Sounds like you're complaining about a loss of nostalgia. I think you're in the
minority, though. People who have the original set will feel a bit slighted, but
people who don't have it feel like they're receiving a gift from Lego. That's
just the way it is.

Did you ever wonder what a Guarded Inn might look like with tan
instead of red, darkgrey instead of light and brown instead of black? Now -
that would have been something to make *really everyone* happy!

Not me--I don't like the new colors. Anything other than the classic colors just
looks cheap and Juniorized to me.

Well, you probably don't want to understand it. Ben came up with really good
arguments that you ignored.

I think he understood it, but that doesn't mean he has to agree. Lugnet's a big
community, and people will continue to have different opinions about these
issues.

I agree with him in all aspects - the new sets
are too close to the first releases and in long-term they will harm the LEGO
brand.

How will they harm the Lego brand?

I understand your point about quality control. It's pretty sad that there have
been so many errors in recent sets and that the printing is not as good.

I still think it's great that Lego is letting kids get some of these classic
sets, though. Just because a book is reprinted, it doesn't mean the first
edition loses its value. Lego may be a collectible, but first and foremost it's
a toy, and I know I'll have fun with the Legends sets I buy.

Jacob