 Trains / 12356
Re: Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 23:28:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jacob Arnold writes:
I don't understand how re-releasing these sets is bad for anyone. If you're
a collector, you'll want the original set with its original box. The Legends
packaging is distinctly different from the original packaging. Also, many
Lego pieces are manufactured slightly differently these days, so your
original set will have smiley heads without holes in the top, plates without
little holes in their bottom pegs, etc. The original sets are still rare and
still collectible. Just because you can get a reproduction of an old comic
book, it doesn't mean the first edition is any less valuable.

Absolutely right, Jacob.  I got the Guarded Inn re-release, which means that I
can enjoy a very nice set without paying hundreds of dollars for it - and it
doesn't even affect the value of Guarded Inns /without/ the box, because there
are several pieces that are identifiably different.

If you're more of a builder, here's a way to get a bunch of cool parts.
Granted, these sets aren't cheap, but that's another topic altogether.

I was impressed that the Legends Guarded Inn was $25 - an excellent price to
piece ratio these days, and only a $5 increase over the initial price.  I'll bet
the original would be more expensive in today's money if the dollars were
adjusted for inflation...

Who loses in this scenario? Probably only people who currently sell sets
loose on eBay.

Not even them. The canny collectors are going to know the differences between
the releases.

I can't see why .anyone. should be against the re-release the way they're doing
it.  Nobody's hurt and a whole lot of people benefit.