 Trains / 12440
Re: Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:07:28 GMT

Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

I wish Lego to serve both groups as I
said, but at the moment Lego works "against" the collectors. I see no • advantage
for TLC to do so: the collectors make the prices for used stuff high. this
helps TLC to sell new stuff at high prices also: good for their profit.

No.  Wrong.

TLC gets no benefit from things sold on the secondary market.  It doesn't • allow
them to "artificially" inflate prices on "new" items... how many posts do we
see on Lugnet complaining about the "price per piece" going up?

The only people that benefit from the price of a used (or out-of-production
[OOP] MISB) set being driven up by collectors is... collectors.  Actually, not
even the collectors really benefit- the only people that benefit are those • that
sit on multiple sealed copies of an old set, waiting for the price to go up so
they can sell them at a profit.  This is commonly known as "speculating" and
the people that do it are known as "speculators".

And what about the "normal" people who go into their dark ages? Lots of people
know about the secondary market for used Lego toys and they do benefit by
selling their used stuff.

I think high prices for used stuff make it easier for Lego to sell their new
stuff. I can buy Duplo for a child and it's no problem to ged rid of it
a few years later. I think even those parly nuts prices for MISB sets make
people look at our hobby and make them sure about, it is a serious hobby, and
not a childish one.

TLC re-releasing the sets will benefit *everyone* except the speculators.

Those that just plain want a set (I, for example, would love to have a
Metroliner, and will definitely buy one- my first train set!) will buy it from
TLC.  Before now, if I wanted a Metroliner, I would have to look for one from
someone else, taking a bigger chunk of my LEGO budget- and NONE of that money
would go to TLC!  Getting some of that money flowing back to TLC is good for
not only TLC, but also for LEGO fans.  In case you hadn't noticed, TLC has • been
having financial trouble lately.  I feel it is a great benefit to LEGO fans if
TLC *stays in business* and keeps making sets.

If they keep making good sets. I do not need a company which produces town
junior and low quality crap like this.

Ben, we ALL get bad parts. Most of the time they are standard bits and we just use
one from our sets. If it's an important part we phone LEGO and get another. It
happens. I get a bad or chewed part in 1 in 25 sets on average. That's less then 1%
error. (That is the commonly accepted failure rate for electronics) So in this day
and age of Mass production I think LEGO is doing a good job. I agree some of there
molds could use some TLC but LEGO is cutting edge on the injection molding.

Taking pictures of all your issues and posting them is pretty sad really. You've
lost all credibility with me.

Dean