 Trains / 12276
Re: Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:14:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

I wish Lego to serve both groups as I
said, but at the moment Lego works "against" the collectors. I see no advantage
for TLC to do so: the collectors make the prices for used stuff high. this
helps TLC to sell new stuff at high prices also: good for their profit.

No.  Wrong.

TLC gets no benefit from things sold on the secondary market.  It doesn't allow
them to "artificially" inflate prices on "new" items... how many posts do we
see on Lugnet complaining about the "price per piece" going up?

The only people that benefit from the price of a used (or out-of-production
[OOP] MISB) set being driven up by collectors is... collectors.  Actually, not
even the collectors really benefit- the only people that benefit are those that
sit on multiple sealed copies of an old set, waiting for the price to go up so
they can sell them at a profit.  This is commonly known as "speculating" and
the people that do it are known as "speculators".

TLC re-releasing the sets will benefit *everyone* except the speculators.

Those that just plain want a set (I, for example, would love to have a
Metroliner, and will definitely buy one- my first train set!) will buy it from
TLC.  Before now, if I wanted a Metroliner, I would have to look for one from
someone else, taking a bigger chunk of my LEGO budget- and NONE of that money
would go to TLC!  Getting some of that money flowing back to TLC is good for
not only TLC, but also for LEGO fans.  In case you hadn't noticed, TLC has been
having financial trouble lately.  I feel it is a great benefit to LEGO fans if
TLC *stays in business* and keeps making sets.

Those that want to collect the old sets can still do so!  There is no way that
you will mistake a LEGO Legends release for the old set.  The box is totally
different.  Fortunately for collectors, the price of a Metroliner (the original
one) will plummet!  After all, a good chunk of the people that wanted a
Mertoliner will now simply buy the LEGO Legends release.  Collectors will no
longer be competing with builders to get Metroliner original release sets.
Once a collector has a set, the going price for that set shouldn't matter to
him.  After all, he's a collector, so giving up the set should be the last
thing he wants to do, for money or anything else!

As I said earlier, the only person hurt by this move is the Speculator.  The
speculator will now have several copies of the set for which he paid more than
the current "going price".  It is difficult for me to have any sympathy for the
speculator... as a shadow market, speculators drive up the price for both
collectors and builders by competing with them for available OOP sets.  Then
they prfit from this price increase by selling back the set to the builders and
collectors.  I do not like speculators... they sit on sets that could be making
a builder or a collector happy, for no other reason than financial gain.  So,
actually, I quite like seeing them get burned by re-releases.  They should find
a better way to make money.

So, would you care to show how the re-release of these sets hurts either
builders or collectors, or TLC?  Because I just don't see it.

eric