 Trains / 12276

Re: Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:14:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

I wish Lego to serve both groups as I
said, but at the moment Lego works "against" the collectors. I see no advantage
for TLC to do so: the collectors make the prices for used stuff high. this
helps TLC to sell new stuff at high prices also: good for their profit.

No.  Wrong.

TLC gets no benefit from things sold on the secondary market.  It doesn't allow
them to "artificially" inflate prices on "new" items... how many posts do we
see on Lugnet complaining about the "price per piece" going up?

The only people that benefit from the price of a used (or out-of-production
[OOP] MISB) set being driven up by collectors is... collectors.  Actually, not
even the collectors really benefit- the only people that benefit are those that
sit on multiple sealed copies of an old set, waiting for the price to go up so
they can sell them at a profit.  This is commonly known as "speculating" and
the people that do it are known as "speculators".

TLC re-releasing the sets will benefit *everyone* except the speculators.

Those that just plain want a set (I, for example, would love to have a
Metroliner, and will definitely buy one- my first train set!) will buy it from
TLC.  Before now, if I wanted a Metroliner, I would have to look for one from
someone else, taking a bigger chunk of my LEGO budget- and NONE of that money
would go to TLC!  Getting some of that money flowing back to TLC is good for
not only TLC, but also for LEGO fans.  In case you hadn't noticed, TLC has been
having financial trouble lately.  I feel it is a great benefit to LEGO fans if
TLC *stays in business* and keeps making sets.

Those that want to collect the old sets can still do so!  There is no way that
you will mistake a LEGO Legends release for the old set.  The box is totally
different.  Fortunately for collectors, the price of a Metroliner (the original
one) will plummet!  After all, a good chunk of the people that wanted a
Mertoliner will now simply buy the LEGO Legends release.  Collectors will no
longer be competing with builders to get Metroliner original release sets.
Once a collector has a set, the going price for that set shouldn't matter to
him.  After all, he's a collector, so giving up the set should be the last
thing he wants to do, for money or anything else!

As I said earlier, the only person hurt by this move is the Speculator.  The
speculator will now have several copies of the set for which he paid more than
the current "going price".  It is difficult for me to have any sympathy for the
speculator... as a shadow market, speculators drive up the price for both
collectors and builders by competing with them for available OOP sets.  Then
they prfit from this price increase by selling back the set to the builders and
collectors.  I do not like speculators... they sit on sets that could be making
a builder or a collector happy, for no other reason than financial gain.  So,
actually, I quite like seeing them get burned by re-releases.  They should find
a better way to make money.

So, would you care to show how the re-release of these sets hurts either
builders or collectors, or TLC?  Because I just don't see it.

eric

Re: Another Legend dies....
[...]

And what about the "normal" people who go into their dark ages? Lots of people
know about the secondary market for used Lego toys and they do benefit by
selling their used stuff.

I think high prices for used stuff make it easier for Lego to sell their new
stuff. I can buy Duplo for a child and it's no problem to ged rid of it
a few years later. I think even those parly nuts prices for MISB sets make
people look at our hobby and make them sure about, it is a serious hobby, and
not a childish one.

TLC re-releasing the sets will benefit *everyone* except the speculators.

Those that just plain want a set (I, for example, would love to have a
Metroliner, and will definitely buy one- my first train set!) will buy it from
TLC.  Before now, if I wanted a Metroliner, I would have to look for one from
someone else, taking a bigger chunk of my LEGO budget- and NONE of that money
would go to TLC!  Getting some of that money flowing back to TLC is good for
not only TLC, but also for LEGO fans.  In case you hadn't noticed, TLC has • been
having financial trouble lately.  I feel it is a great benefit to LEGO fans if
TLC *stays in business* and keeps making sets.

If they keep making good sets. I do not need a company which produces town
junior and low quality crap like this.

You surely never have heard any complaining by me about too high prices of Lego
sets. I want high quality stuff (like TLC made it in the past). If you haven't
noticed: new bricks have higher tolerances (wich is bad) and are more weak. So
they get scratches and are warped even as new bricks sometimes. If Lego wants
to make profit with crap, they have to look for other consumers than me.

As I said earlier, the only person hurt by this move is the Speculator. The
speculator will now have several copies of the set for which he paid more than
the current "going price".  It is difficult for me to have any sympathy for • the
speculator... as a shadow market, speculators drive up the price for both
collectors and builders by competing with them for available OOP sets.  Then
they prfit from this price increase by selling back the set to the builders • and
collectors.  I do not like speculators... they sit on sets that could be • making
a builder or a collector happy, for no other reason than financial gain.

What is bad about profit? If I can get my childhoods dream (the 7740) as MISB
today for a horrible price, I still might buy it. Even if some speculator wins
a few $$. What's so bad about it. You can't make a dream become true every day:
then it is no longer a dream. A MISB Metroliner is no longer a legend: it is
just one average Lego set among many others. Just a lost dream - a stolen
possibility....

So, actually, I quite like seeing them get burned by re-releases.

And you are sure, you are not just jealous against people, who bought from the
speculator or against the speculator himnself? Nearly all "speculators" I know
are huge Lego fans themselves and they do this (sometimes risky) speculation to
finance their hobby and help other people to become their dreams fulfilled. In
the end the speculator uses his won money to buy even more new stuff from
TLC....

They should • find
a better way to make money.

Why? Who would profit then?

So, would you care to show how the re-release of these sets hurts either
builders or collectors, or TLC?  Because I just don't see it.

Just tried to give my explanation. It would be very easy for TLC to release
changed Legends, which would make both players and collectors glad. Tht's all I
say. But I alway read about people who would like to get the original for low
prices. That would give profit to noone but these cheap price buyers.

Leg Godt!

Ben
(who is NO speculator or MISB collector).

Re: Another Legend dies....
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.trains, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

I feel it is a great benefit to LEGO fans • if
TLC *stays in business* and keeps making sets.

If they keep making good sets. I do not need a company which produces town
junior and low quality crap like this.

You surely never have heard any complaining by me about too high prices of • Lego
sets. I want high quality stuff (like TLC made it in the past). If you haven't
noticed: new bricks have higher tolerances (wich is bad) and are more weak. So
they get scratches and are warped even as new bricks sometimes. If Lego wants
to make profit with crap, they have to look for other consumers than me.

Sorry for answering on my own posting, but I just have got an interesting
picture, which I have uploaded at brickshelf right now:

This is another typical example for the new Lego quality standard, which I was
refering to. The minifig is from the re-release of the Guarded Inn and
demonstrates why I really not will have to worry about new Metroliners at
all....

Ok, I become sarcastic. But you asked for cheap Guarded Inns and now you have
them at last. But I do not want to hear anybody complain about his weak-plastic
sets lateron. Have fun with your (not legendary) legends.  ;-)

Leg Godt!

Ben

Re: Another Legend dies....
Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote in message ...
Sorry for answering on my own posting, but I just have got an interesting
picture, which I have uploaded at brickshelf right now:

This is another typical example for the new Lego quality standard, which I
was

LOL! I *want* that minifig head!

Kevin
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
Brickbay Lego parts store: http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1
eBay Lego auctions: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/kevinw1/
The Guild of Bricksmiths: http://www.bricksmiths.com
Personal Lego Web page:

Re: Another Legend dies....
Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote in message ...
Sorry for answering on my own posting, but I just have got an interesting
picture, which I have uploaded at brickshelf right now:

This is another typical example for the new Lego quality standard, which I
was

LOL! I *want* that minifig head!

Oh THAT! That's the new minifig 'Internet emoticon' editon head. Look for
more to come, including:

;  )

:  P

:  D