 Trains / 12294
Re: Another Legend dies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:47:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
Of course there are all opinions to be found at 1000steine, but the majority
is of the opinion, that the Lego® hunting is such a big part of the hobby and
they would not like to miss it. Buying something with your credit card gives
you not the same satisfaction as finding a rare part on a flea market and
trading the next one with some other AFOL. All tose FOTM stories which we all
have had are such an important part of our hobby: I wouldn't like to miss
them.

I don't like flea markets, and I don't like used stuff if I can avoid it.  I
have no sympathy with the view that the fun is in the "shopping" for the
elements or sets -- I hate shopping!  My preference would be for TLC NOT to
rerelease sets but just certain elements -- but there is probably a profit
motive in just rereleasing the sets instead. So be it.  I support the
rerelease of sets with desirable elements.  I have no sympathy for the
collector's of lego who have paid premium prices for stuff -- I have done it
too, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be happier by far to have ready access
to the elements I was seeking because they have rereleased the set
containing those elements!

[Man, I really need to finish that grading Lego thing so that you can all
see why collecting Lego at premium prices is REALLY stupid in many cases.
But that will have to wait for pictures!]

You are right, and this is a thing I really appreciate, but as far as I read
it, lots of people are not too glad about these differences (May I call them
the "jealous people": those who would like to get the "like original" sets
cheap, which we idiots have bought at highest prices?).

I don't care about the "like original" sets, just the "like original" parts!
There is a quality control issue where the walls are manufactured
differently and where the printing of the more modern elements is done in an
increasingly shoddy manner (the flag appears to have suffered of bad
printing for 10000).  I have had printing troubles with sets beyond 10000,
and that is THE issue also!

TLC is not going to win any points with me if their quality control starts
heading any further south -- that makes Mega Bloks look increasingly better
to me (as it does all the time because of improvements on their side of this
equation!). Frankly, things need to improve and ASAP!  Quality control has
really started to slip and I presume its not a good thing in anyone's view...

-- Hop-Frog