 Trains / 12267
Re: Another Legend dies... ...changes to "new" metroliner suggested.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:51:52 GMT

I have no problem with the "slight" changes you suggest. But those will
result in extra (slight?) development costs, and so may make other Legend
sets a little less likely. I cannot find a picture of the "new" metroliner
on Lego.com, but the changes I hope for a as follows:

No Transformer/PS - I have enough
No Track - I have enough
No motor - I have enough
Smaller box!

With those changes, we may save 30-40%?

Scott A

Scott- I agree 90% with you here. Lose the track and transformer. I like
motors though. I've got more than enough curved rail.

In general, I think LD would be better off selling trains piecemeal rather
than large $150 sets. Each year they could offer a new engine style and two
or three similarly themed cars to go with it, as separate sets. (It looks
like this is the year of the steam and classic looking trains. Perhaps next
year will be a cargo theme.)

Lego Direct can continue to bundle cars, track and transformer at the
catalog level to offer a one-stop solution.

This packaging method and the fact that these are S@H only sets do keep
trains out of the retail channel. But I'm sure Lego will continue to offer a
single box, mass market train every two years or so for Toys R Us and the
other retailers.

It looks like, for the foreseeable future, Lego Direct and S@H is where the
action is for the serious Lego train fan. Fine by me.

Bryan