 Castle / 9395
9394  |  9396
Subject:
The legend lives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:15:14 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hello!

The 6067 "Guarded Inn" is my all time favourite LEGO® set. The first
glance at the picture in the 1986 catalogue was the initial spark of
this love... And I was lucky to get it as a birthay present the same
year.

The Guarded Inn is a legend. But what makes it a legend?

Of course it is well designed model: The fitting choice of colours, the
little details, its originality as the only "civilian" castle set...

But another reason for it to be a legend is its rarity.

In America this set was never regularly available in the shops (because
it is a pub and promotes drinking...?). So it became one of the most
desired sets in America I think. And it was a little cruel of TLC that
it was listed in the Shop-at-Home-catalogue. You saw it, you knew it,
but you couldn't get it as a child depending on parents' purse...

Btw there are many sets that have never been released outside the US:
For example #6071, #6060, #6390 and all the value packs. We Europeans
were not even aware of these sets. When I saw #6060 the first time on
Lugnet I was really shocked: Such a great set! And LEGO kept it back
from me! You could have heared me curse and swear at LEGO :-)

But now I have some of the (castle) US-only sets. And I wouldn't be too
happy if these sets would be re-released. To big was my effort to get
them. If everybody could buy as many of these sets as they wanted the
thrill would be lost.

Consider the pride of !finally! having a Guarded Inn!

Be honest: The parts in the 6067 ain't too great... Some gray wall parts
(more of them are in the bigger castles), black roof parts (available in
service packs), a red maiden hat (there are three sets with it) and some
minifigs. And of course the red tudor wall parts. But I never used them
too often. And I wouldn't use them even if I had more than my three of
them.

Now you can buy as many sets with these red tudor walls as you want.
And? Do you want to build a half timbered house out of these parts? Will
we see thousands of galleries at BrickShelf showing houses with red
tudor wall parts? White tudor wall parts would be better...

Now you can put a newly recieved set in your showcase and say: This is
the long desired Guarded Inn! And? Where had been the thrill getting it?

The Guarded Inn is a legend in America because of its (former) rarity.
In other countries the 6067 is not really a legend but a highly rated
set because of its beauty.

Maybe it will become a new legend as the first LEGO set celebrating a
rebirth. (Every 2000 years a resurrection... But don't let the
resurrection become normality.)

I'd really prefer to see some NEW models with the quality of the Guarded
Inn.

;-)
Jojo