 Castle / 9462
Re: The legend died (Re: The legend lives)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:44:09 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Brian Kasprzyk writes:

I beg to differ who they are targeting with this release.  If they were
targeting children, then it would be distributed to the retail stores.  The
fact that they are only selling on S@H is evidence enough of who there
target really is.

I don't think so. See below.

Besides, if you were a parent, would you buy a single set
that has no other sets to add onto it?  Let's think about this...  hummm, I
can buy my children these cool sets with dinasours, that has over 12 other
sets I can purchase to add onto it, or this one $25 set with nothing to go
with it.

True.

This is exactly why it is only being offered at S@H.

I don't think so. See below.

Also, I
would bet that 70% of Lego's purchase market is through the retail division,
not S@H.  I am not saying where they make the most $$, but volume of
purchases come through the retail division.

While most of the above may be *true*, it is not the *reason* that this set
is being released to S@H and not to retail. The REASON is that S@H is within
Brad's brief, and retail isn't.

Brad's organization cannot force retail to carry things. In fact,
previously, Brad and S@H had to pick and choose from what retail designed,
and that includes service packs (which, remember, are or were available at
retail in Germany). But they had no power to commission new stuff.

It is a HUGE organizational breakthrough that LD can design new sets
(mosaic, the minifig, the dragon, the statue, MyOwnTrain, the Camel, and
more to come I think) and bring old ones back. Be happy that LD has this
charter and has been accomplishing this much. If Hop-Frog can be happy about
this (!!!) so can everyone else. (yes, yes, I wish it happened faster.)

The above statements are *not* speculation. LD IS organised the way it is,
and Hop-Frog IS happy, at least a little. :-) Those are facts.

Where did you get these *facts* from? If what you say is true, the running
of LEGO is far worse than I thought.

Scott A

Now, about collectors. I am glad there are collectors out there. They shake
stuff loose that otherwise would get thrown away or languish in garage
sales. I am mostly a builder, and a designer and retailer in my own right,
but a bit of a collector, so I admit some bias, I do want a viable collector
market so I can buy things.

This hobby is a big tent. Be inclusive.

I am not crying for all the collectors and those that cater to them who are
now upset that LD has made 6075 that much less valuable (although I dispute
the magnitude of the loss), but I hope collectors and those that cater to
them remain part of the hobby and part of the marketplace. What is needed
here is more tolerance and acceptance of the different facets of the hobby.
IMHO.

++Lar