 Castle / 9476
Re: The legend died (Re: The legend lives)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 05:01:56 GMT

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:23:13 GMT, "Mr L F Braun"
<braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:

Crossposted to lugnet.market.theory, please trim follow ups
accordingly.

  I can also agree 100% with what Eric wrote--with the exception
  that I don't see the "speculation" or selling market as such a
  sacrophytic organism.  There are shades of grey; for everyone
  hauling 6067s out in hopes of getting $200, there are many more
  parts sellers (like me) who get numbers of currently-available
  sets, make lots of unusual parts, and sell those to fund their
  own collections.  But those who do buy to sell, markup, and
  auction are certainly welcome to do so, in my opinion.  I'm
  downright Larritarian in that one small part of my philosophy.

  But I do agree that collectors should accept what's happened as
  part and parcel of the speculator's market.  It is 100% within
  LEGO's right to reproduce any set they wish--it is *their own
  intellectual property and nobody else's*.  LEGO hasn't stolen
  anything from anyone, they have rather actually listened to our
  clamour and watched the demands and wishes and now they're making
  a gesture towards the things we as a community have long wished
  for.  What's more, when adjusted for inflation it's actually
  *cheaper* than the original retail price was--so I don't think
  they're trying to profiteer unduly.  That's one of the risks
  of collecting anything that's produced by a company that still
  exists.  If you want safe collectibles, go for old Packards and
  Studebakers (and AMC Gremlins...bwaaahaahhaaha!).

  Lindsay

I have no problem with those who wish to collect MISB sets, I have no
problem with those buy sell used, find new (old)sets in a store
somewhere(or garage sale etc) and sell them for a profit.  What(whom?)
I dislike is/are those who say that LEGO cannot or should not reissue
old sets.  LEGO owns the sets designs and copyrights and if they wish
to please a portion of their fans by reissuing these sets that us fans
want so much, LEGO  is well within their rights to do so.  I am *VERY*
happy to have now pre-ordered 4 of the 10000 Guarded Inns, I may order
more depending upon how various RL things work out.  It is *VERY* to
order multiple OTHER classic Castle sets if they are reissued,
especially 677/6077 Knights Procession and the Armor Shop and
BlackSmith shop (even more so if they were a combo :^).

Simply put, let LEGO release the Legends sets, if people buy them they
can do more, if people don't, they'll stop.  Just because a particular
person spent a whole bunch of money on a set is not a reason to NOT
reissue that set.  Just because a person plans on selling a particular
set for a big markup due to high demand and low supply is NOT a reason
to NOT reissue a set.   Frankly I don't care if someone was
speculating and now is not going to make very much or any profit from
a set, its *ALL* about the availability of parts baby!  That's what is
really going on here, is we get parts that have been unavailable or
have been unavailable in certain colors for some time where we can get
them!

I will buy the Legends that I like and not buy those I don't, vote
with your money, if you like buy!
Mike
--

All other themes are just spare parts for Castle! :^)