 Castle / 9406
Re: The legend died (Re: The legend lives)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:56:15 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Stacey writes:
you have to realise that most of the AFOL don't want a collectors market. It
drives the price up and encourages speculation on prices. Yes it'd be pretty
cool to see a revised or modified inn to add to the collection, and of
course LEGO are doing it out of a desire to make money (they are after all a
business). I couldn't sit back and watch a product of mine selling for $200
plus on the collectors market, having the knowlage I could knock it out and
make a profit for $25.

And what about a new set, which will sell for $25 to the children AND to the
collectors who already have the old sets? With a slightly modified set, they
would probably make more money.

I could be considered a collector, I've paid over the odds for american only
Castle sets, and I consider myself very lucky to have had a Guarded Inn in
86. It makes the achivements of people struggling to gain pieces non the
less valid (I was thrilled to get another tavern sign in a bag of bits at a
boot sale) They know -I had all thoses pieces before the 2001 rerelease, and
anyone who they wish to impress will know what they mean.

I am definitely not a collector, I don't even keep all the boxes or
instructions of my sets, so personally I am quit happy that there will be a
new/old set with interesting red pieces to use.

There are however lots of real lego collectors (or users) who haven't got
the inn or simply could never afford / justify the expenditure, and lots of
children who have never had the pleasure of 'real' (imho) castle sets.

There are also lots of children who don't have a Mindstrom because they
can't afford it.
Does this mean TLC will drop the price to $30, probably not, but what about
the children who never had the pleasure of 'real' Lego?

Its a definate step forward dude, that you can't deny

I wouldn't say its a step forward, but it is at least a step, lets see where
it will lead.
Also I am not a collector, I can perfectly understand them and I think the
Lego AFOL community wouldn't be the same without those 'maniacs' who try to
get sets, to just put it unopened on there shelf's.
So for the next legend, Lego should modify the set slightly and everybody
would be happy.

Christian