 Castle / 9398
Re: The legend died (Re: The legend lives)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:12:11 GMT

In lugnet.castle, René Hoffmeister writes:
Hello,

I'm consurring with Jojo's opinion but want to add 2 further cents.

In Germany, specific in the Forum at 1000steine.de, there were much more
criticism of the new "Legends-Line".

Many "collectors" are annoyed, because TLC slapped them in the face by
selling a very popular collector's item; many "architects" are looking
wistful back in time, when they found nice pieces like red tudor walls or
signs in their newest Deal-Bags. TLC has stolen dozens of proud stories and
lucky ways of getting a Guardied Inn - now you can order and you get it, the
charme is not the same. Only a few people in the Forum of 1000steine.de were
really overjoyed.

LEGO is not a collector's item, like Beanie Babies or Elvis commemorative
plates. It is a toy, meant to be played with, not sitting MISB in someone's
closet accumulating value. Anything that LEGO does to make a great set more
available is an unqualified good thing, IMO. And if they make a ton of money
off of it, well that's even better. LEGO (or any other company) doesn't do
things out of goodwill. When our interests (neato old sets) and LEGO's
interests (profit) coincide, then good things can happen.

And let's remember who LEGO's real target is: not us, but children. How many
parents do you think were slapping down $200 for an eBay Guarded Inn for
their kid? I think it's a great thing that today's kids will be able to get
their hands on such an excellent set from the old days, that they otherwise
might never had known about.

IMO there would have been a simple way to please all men: Why not renew the
Guarded Inn with some little modifications (maybe an altered sign or
mirrored timbering at the tudor walls)? The collectors would have their
originals, the architects many nice pieces and bricks for building and the
6067 would not lost it's "aura".

To reissue the 6067 as 1:1 copy of the original is creating a PATHETIC
COMEBACK*, but never a LEGEND!!!

I like to think of it as LEGO making a legend a reality.

-Marc Nelson Jr.

I'm anxious, what the "August Surprise" is - which set will lose its magic
charme? Maybe #6071 or #1906? "HA" you may say, but I don't own these sets
and I won't complete my castle collection just by clicking "Order Now" at S@H.

Kind Regards,

René
www.1000steine.de

*and lucrative for TLC - that's the REAL reason for choosing the Guarded Inn!