 Castle / 9457
Re: The legend died (Re: The legend lives)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:31:09 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.castle, Brian Kasprzyk writes:
<snip>

Now, about collectors. I am glad there are collectors out there. They shake
stuff loose that otherwise would get thrown away or languish in garage
sales. I am mostly a builder, and a designer and retailer in my own right,
but a bit of a collector, so I admit some bias, I do want a viable collector
market so I can buy things.

This hobby is a big tent. Be inclusive.

I am not crying for all the collectors and those that cater to them who are
now upset that LD has made 6075 that much less valuable (although I dispute
the magnitude of the loss), but I hope collectors and those that cater to
them remain part of the hobby and part of the marketplace. What is needed
here is more tolerance and acceptance of the different facets of the hobby.
IMHO.

You and Lindsay both mentioned this, and I want to point out that I agree
with it, although I imagine it certainly didn't look like it.  I don't
(intentionally) deride or begrudge collectors and speculators their place in
the market; I think it makes the market better.  I just feel very strongly
that speculators have no basis whinging that the commodity they speculate
became readily available, and they lost out.  It's part of the deal, live
with it, or don't speculate.  It happens when new gold mines get found, it
happens when Lego rereleases old sets.

$0.02 (any takers?  It might be 4 cents tomorrow, that's 100% profit!)

James