 Trains / 12818
Re: Why is the monorail motor so special?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:45:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
The rumor I heard was that the moulds to produce the motor housing were no
longer available.

So what?!  TLC is in the business of making moulds so that they can
manufacture thousands of little plastic modular elements that comprise a
supposed "system" of building blocks.  I have the strange idea that TLC can
and does make moulds for manufacturing elements anytime they want to...

Has anyone recently considered the stuff TLC has been manufacturing rather
than what we might wish they did?  Look at Bionickles, Creator, and the Jack
Stone lines -- there are probably a minimum of two dozen elements not
previously available in these sets, all new this year!  I don't think the
argument about the expense of making an element, or series of elements,
holds any water any longer. TLC can obviously make the moulds and put stuff
back into production if they wish to do so.  It is not a matter of whether
they could -- because doing so IS the very business with which they are
presently and have always been engaged.

The real issues are obviously those of "return on the investment," and the
probably questionable savvy of their business strategists.  I am cheered by
the possibilities suggested by the "Classic" and "Legend" lines, but I am
equally disheartened by the advent of lines like Bionickles, Creator, and
Jack Stone.

I feel positive that Rose is correct in assuming that there is no technical
reason that the monorail cannot come back.  It will return if and when TLC
decides it's a good investment.  I note that Rokenbok Systems makes a
monorail set for around $150 USD...it's pretty cool, I played with it at TRU
once.

I suggest people buy the toys that they would actually play with, and not
just the toys for which they have a pointless, and unrequited, loyalty
towards.  Vote with your money.

-- Hop-Frog (asleep at the wheel)